Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Modern Vintage Products

New In Town
    love lipcote.It is available here in New Zealand and without it I could never wear red lippy as I'm a grazer for snacks and terribly absent minded about touching my lips

Off the top of my head:

- Coty Airspun loose powder, 1920s/1930s
    - Tangee lipstick, 1920s
    - Tabu lipstick, 1950s
    - Cover Girl liquid foundation & loose powder, 1960s

I want to say that the cheap little red Maybelline eyebrow pencil is vintage, but I can't honestly remember or find basis for that right now.

As others have said, Revlon still sells many of their vintage colors, including Cherries in the Snow and Fire & Ice.

Not exactly true makeup, but a few others:
    - Queen Helene mint julep mask, 1930s
    - Coty Emeraude perfume, 1920s
    - Guerlain Shalimar & Mitsouko perfumes, 1920s
    - Yardley English Lavender soap
    - Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream, 1930s
    - Pears soap
    - Chanel No. 5 perfume, 1920s
    - Lustre Creme shampoo
    - Mason Pearson brushes

Quote Originally Posted by Clabbergirl View Post
    Love that you did this comparison. Thank you!
    Me too! Very cool, DigThatBeat!

Here's a 1964 Cover Girl ad. Apparently the famous Noxzema fragrance was a selling point for the products, and they originally only made 6 face productsd. I had no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by DigThatBeat View Post
    A lot of Revlon's Moondrops shades from the 60s are still around.
    24k Orange
    Crystal Cut Coral
    Snowsilver Rose
    Apple Polish
    Sugar Poppy
    Mirrored Mauve
    Persian Melon

And I think Love That Red was first released in the early 50s.
    I just bought the Moon Drops 24K Orange today. A little pricey for a drugstore lippy ($10!) but I love the color, and was in need of a good orange/coral lipstick. It has that great "old makeup" smell. I can't wait to wear it!
    Last edited by fortworthgal; 03-08-2012 at 01:50 PM.

I REALLY want to try pan-stik/pan-cake... but with me being so pale I worry about finding a proper shade.

A good match for my skin is Revlon's ColorStay in Ivory (110) though it's a tad light itself... Amber Rose Pan-Cake seems to be the lightest, but still looks ridiculously dark for me...
    Pan-Stik has Natural 101, which seems like it might work...

Anyone try these and take note of how the foundation blends? Is it lighter than in the container when you wear it? or are the shades a good approximation?
    "The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less." - Arthur Miller

One of the Regulars Romy Overdorp's Avatar

Colgate toothpaste!
    Nobody's mother lives in Atlantic City on Saturday - Lauren Bacall

http://vintage-romy.blogspot.com

^ What a great ad! I love how they call it "ribbon dental cream." I guess that must have been at the tail-end of the "tooth powder" era (I have an old can of Colgate tooth powder somewhere...)

I know that Pepsodent toothpaste is another old brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    I REALLY want to try pan-stik/pan-cake... but with me being so pale I worry about finding a proper shade.

A good match for my skin is Revlon's ColorStay in Ivory (110) though it's a tad light itself... Amber Rose Pan-Cake seems to be the lightest, but still looks ridiculously dark for me...
    Pan-Stik has Natural 101, which seems like it might work...

Anyone try these and take note of how the foundation blends? Is it lighter than in the container when you wear it? or are the shades a good approximation?
    I too am dying to try Pan-stik. The only place online in the US (drugstore.com) doesn't have any of the lighter shades available, and all of the ivory tones on ebay and amazon are ridiculously priced. I'm not paying $39 for a stick of drugstore foundation! If you find a source and try it, please let me know.

I used the Max Factor pancake about 12 years ago, and I remember it blending very well and being easy to use and matte. Sadly, I cannot remember what shade I used. What I do remember is that it looks much darker in the pan than it actually is on your skin. I also remember all of the pancake shades being very pink-toned. For reference I'm NW15 in MAC, W1 or W2 in L'oreal True Match, and ivory in everything else.

Due to the difficulty finding Max Factor, I've been looking at Kryolan pancake and TV stick. They've been around since the 40s and are very inexpensive at costume shops and suppliers, I think the foundations are under $10.
    Last edited by fortworthgal; 03-09-2012 at 05:58 PM.

I used to use Pan-Stik years ago when I was doing local stage work -- I remember it as being *very* greasy, and it went on very thick unless you used a very light stroke. It was pretty close to full coverage, though, and it didn't dry up on your face and get cakey like Pan-Cake will do. It's probably not a good choice for anyone with oily skin, unless they've radically changed the formula.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by DigThatBeat View Post
    A lot of Revlon's Moondrops shades from the 60s are still around.
    24k Orange
    Crystal Cut Coral
    Snowsilver Rose
    Apple Polish
    Sugar Poppy
    Mirrored Mauve
    Persian Melon

And I think Love That Red was first released in the early 50s.
    I just wanted to let everyone know that right now CVS drugstores have a *major* cosmetics clearance going on, and many items are tagged 50% or 75% off - including most of the Revlon Moon Drops lipsticks! This makes them about $2.50 each. I picked up 3 tubes today.

They also have a lot of other Revlon, L'Oreal, and Almay marked down.

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by fortworthgal View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that right now CVS drugstores have a *major* cosmetics clearance going on, and many items are tagged 50% or 75% off - including most of the Revlon Moon Drops lipsticks! This makes them about $2.50 each. I picked up 3 tubes today.

They also have a lot of other Revlon, L'Oreal, and Almay marked down.

Thanks for the heads up, Gal! Not that i need any more lipstick, but i can't resist a bargain!

Mary