Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Artist

We're closing it out tonight after a four-week run, and it'll leave here as the sixth-highest-grossing attraction in our history, which isn't too shabby. It wasn't the juggernaut at the B. O. that "The King's Speech" was, but it drew some pretty respectable numbers in our, admittedly, not-typical (median age 47) town. We had a lot of repeat business, too -- people would see it, get really enthusiastic, and then come back a few nights later with a group of friends. Some people saw it three times.

It always got applause at the finish, too -- that's something our audience reserves for only the films it really really appreciates.

After we're done with it, it's supposed to go to the multiplex in the next town, where I expect it will absolutely die. If ever there was a movie made to be shown only in a main-street single-screen house, this would be it. Maybe that's the problem, and not the picture -- there just aren't enough of those kinds of theatres left nowadays.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Well, I'm happy to hear that it did well at the Strand. And there's no question that - being the highly unusual film it is - it's done quite respectable business, and it's profitable, since it didn't cost a lot to make.

But it remains very disappointing in the sense that no amount of critical fawning and/or awards won seems to be able to convince the general public that it's a wonderful, enjoyable film that they should take a chance and see, because most folks will love it. It's a genuinely different filmgoing experience... which is exactly why the vast majority just aren't interested.

The general public's dumbness abides.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    -- there just aren't enough of those kinds of theatres left nowadays.
    True. I also saw it in a small theatre and it wasn't even half full. But the viewers enjoyed it. YOu could see it in their faces when they left and hear the laughing during the funny scenes. I hope your cinema is able to keep the small but beautiful movies alive.

Familiar Face

The Artist

Tonight I'm going to see that new silent film The Artist in theaters with a couple of lovely ladies. Not sure if any of you guys have seen it or not but looking forward too it! Both of them have dressed up in an attempt to emulate the style of the era the film is set, with beautiful hair and dresses on for a very "vintagey" feel. I'm wearing a grey dress shirt, with tie and black dockers for pants and a gray sportcoat as well as a dark grey sweater vest and black fedora......But they didn't invite me till today and I wasn't dressed up. This is just another day for me! I'll be sure to mention how the movie was after we see it!
    When I want information i go to someone who knows more than me and i ask them. Sometimes......I ask pretty hard.
    -Marv

New In Town
    This is a FANTASTIC movie - you'll enjoy it!!!

Familiar Face
    It was absoluelty amazing and quite possibly my new favorite movie of all time. Definitly buying it when it comes out on DVD!
    When I want information i go to someone who knows more than me and i ask them. Sometimes......I ask pretty hard.
    -Marv

I hope to see this. When I first learned about it I thought it was really neat.

WOW - I've just come back after seeing this MASTERPIECE!
    "There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!'

I forget now, but was "The Artist" presented non-widescreen, like 1.3 to 1? I was thinking it did, and that made it seem more realistically vintage, but now I'm not sure...
    Art Deco artwork at www.meerhousestudio.com

Yes, it's in the old standard 1.33:1 aspect ratio.