Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Artist

That is good news about a wider distribution, I have a lot of folks that said they wanted to see it here and despite my best efforts, the theater would not carry.

Hadley! Great photo, I love that dog. And I absolutely enjoyed Dujardin's acceptance speech. "I love your country!" That was wonderful. I was jumping up and down in my command center at work last night on a night shift. Myself and one other film lover, both dressed in Coast Guard uniform, started tap dance (in boots) when The Artist won it's much deserved awards. The best was dancing just as Dujardin did as well... sort of hard in boots, but I managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vim View Post

Hadley! Great photo, I love that dog. And I absolutely enjoyed Dujardin's acceptance speech. "I love your country!" That was wonderful. I was jumping up and down in my command center at work last night on a night shift....
    Thank you Mr Vim!

I agree, Dujardin's speech was great and that dog is adorable!!!!

"In Chile..."
    After reading too many 'netizen' reviews this morning, it became clear to me that the people who wrote them either loved "The Artist" or really disliked it. Few seemed to be neutral on the subject.
    Last edited by Marc Chevalier; 02-28-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Chevalier View Post
    After reading too many 'netizen' reviews this morning, it became clear to me that the people who wrote them either loved "The Artist" or really disliked it. Few seemed to be neutral on the subject.

I agree!

And for all of us here who love the 1920s ( and 30s etc...) it was like something magical A silent film wins an Oscar in 2012! omg!!!!

It's so amazing, its unreal and totally beautiful! it's almost like we have been transported to the Twenties for a moment in our lifetime !

This is a definite must-see for me! Haven't been to a cinema in some 15 years because normally there's never really anything that I want to see. But this is an exception!
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

My Mail is Forwarded Here Flat Foot Floey's Avatar
    I just read this Blog regarding the clothes in the Artist. He has a point. But honestly it didn't bother me much. One of the extras had a nice beltback suit when they rescued Valentin from the fire.

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/the...-mens-clothes/
    (Link may have some spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Chevalier View Post
    From the reviews that you have posted I think they can be categorised into 'people who have seen it' against 'people who haven't'!
    I'm not dressed up. I'm just dressed.

"In Chile..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Foot Floey View Post

I just read this Blog regarding the clothes in the Artist.

Most of what this blog says is true, but the author makes inaccurate or incorrect statements here and there. Some examples:

"In the close up, you can see that Dujardin wears a tuxedo with flaps on the pockets – again, a highly informal detail that no man would have worn back then."

False: on American tuxedos, flaps were the norm throughout the 1920s and most of the '30s.

"...the cut of the waistcoat – with the bottom button fastened – is not the way men wore it back in the day."

False: In the U.S., waistcoat bottom buttons were usually worn fastened.

"While the film techniques and approach of the silent film may be very authentic, the clothes are clearly modern."

Not completely true. On certain supporting actors and many of the extras, the clothes are authentic vintage, even 1930s vintage. And all of the neckties worn by Jean Dujardin are authentic vintage 1930s pieces.
    Last edited by Marc Chevalier; 02-28-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    All this whining about "those Hollywood Elitists gave it to a pretentious art film to show us common Joes where to get off" makes me laugh to the point of hysteria. There was, in fact, a pretentious art film on the nominee list -- Tree of Life, one of the most pretentious, overwrought pictures I've ever seen -- and it got shut out.
    I think they might be confusing the term "art film" with a film being creative/ a work of art. Primarily because so few movies are works of art anymore.
    Progress: Going from being able to "hear a pin drop" to "can you hear me now?"

"In Chile..."
    Quote Originally Posted by sheeplady View Post

I think they might be confusing the term "art film" with a film being creative/ a work of art. Primarily because so few movies are works of art anymore.

Meanwhile, some silent movie aficionados are criticizing "The Artist" for not being 'arty', and for being too modern.