Advertisements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Era Hair Oddities

Practically Family

Golden Era Hair Oddities

Advertisements
    The Golden Era is commonly thought of as an era in which men wore their hair clean cut and short. Likewise goes for any time from around 1900 to the mid 1960s.

I was curious if we could find some rare pictures of long haired men from between 1900 and the mid 60s.

The same goes for facial hair (Post WWII, I know facial hair was big during the era of TR and Wilson).

One picture which might shock some here who haven't seen it before is President Lyndon Johnson at his ranch after his presidency in 1972. Men of his generation (he was born in 1908) as a rule DID NOT grow out their hair and generally looked down on it. The Hippie generation, known for their long hair, DETESTED Johnson in large measure and regarded him as the symbol of everything they were against.

We saw something like that picture in a documentary in Jr. High. The voice-over was from one of Johnson's former aids who went out to visit him at his ranch after his administration and was somewhat surprised that he had grown his hair out like the hippies and, in his words "reduced himself to their level."

I believe LBJ referred to it as his "Buffalo Bill" hairstyle.

The impression one gets from accounts in the popular press is that in his final years Johnson had a "to hell with it" attitude toward others' expectations of him. Gonna do what I wanna do, etc.

Leopold Stokowski -- apostle of Long Haired Music.
    Go out and fight so life shouldn't be printed on dollar bills. -- Clifford Odets

Quote Originally Posted by FedoraFan112390 View Post
    The Golden Era is commonly thought of as an era in which men wore their hair clean cut and short. Likewise goes for any time from around 1900 to the mid 1960s.

I was curious if we could find some rare pictures of long haired men from between 1900 and the mid 60s.

That is a very difficult question FedoraFan!
    Besides from the picture shown above by Lizzie, I couldn't find anybody apart from Johnny Weissmuller in the 1930s movie "Tarzan". For men, it was strictly short hair back then, particularly in the 20s and 30s.

Incurably Addicted V.C. Brunswick's Avatar
    Did anybody mention the House of David? They were a religious commune in Benton Harbor, MI who's various enterprises included baseball and basketball teams and an amusement park.

He was of a slightly older generation so that may have had something to do with Lloyd George's hair.

V.C. Brunswick, did you ever read a comic book called The Golem's Mighty Swing? It's clearly based on the baseball team you posted. The main character bears a striking resemblance to the fellow on the far left of the lineup in the first picture.

Oh, and of course, somebody has to note the obvious:

Here's a 1948 photograph of eden ahbez (intentional lowercasing) and the Nature Boys. He's at front towards the left.

I'm not entirely sure about whether he affiliated himself with that later movement, but he might have been an early hippie, or a beatnik.
    Last edited by The Good; 09-12-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Romans 10:9
    Sincerely,
    J.B.

These two gentlemen

Albert Schweitzer

Mark Twain