Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading on paper or screen

Reading on paper or screen

Although I've been working on PCs since I bought my first production unit in 1987 and have worked on computers ever since I would never consider reading a book on a screen of any sort. Books should be read printed on paper sitting in a comfortable easy chair preferably accompanied by a cup of decent assam and a glass of old port. Therefore:

http://readtheprintedword.org/
    One thing bothers me Baldrick, how did you manage to get so much custard out of just one cat

You're welcome to my blog Retrorambling

Books on screens make my eyes hurt.
    Books on paper don't.

Books on paper smell good.
    Books on screens don't.

Books on screens disappear when the battery runs out.
    Books on paper don't.

Books on paper insulate the living room.
    Books on screens don't.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Both have their place. I prefer a "real" book in the comfort of my own home, but I also love the convenience of my Kindle when I have very limited luggage space. Can't knock the amount of great stuff downloadable for free. Same with music, really..... I have an iPod because it allows me to carry music places I can't take my record collection, but I still use CDs and vinyl at home.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    Books on screens make my eyes hurt.
    Books on paper don't.

Books on paper smell good.
    Books on screens don't.

Books on screens disappear when the battery runs out.
    Books on paper don't.

Books on paper insulate the living room.
    Books on screens don't.

I've read one whole book online. It was a Zane Grey novel, of all things, and it was on Project Gutenburg. I didn't mind it at all. I must say, most of the books I read are old hard bound volumes, and since I carry them around everywhere, and mainly only read on the subway, they get butchered. I'm really death on books, which makes me feel bad. So I think I wouldn't mind having a Kindle, or whatever. However I suspect that most of the books I read would not be available in electronic form.
    "Hello. I'm Mr. Hardy, and this is my friend, Mr. Laurel."

I know some people who swear that the newest kindles, with their non-reflective screens, are as comfortable to read as a printed page. I just love the feel of an actual book.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - J.H.P.

The biggest problem I have is with the single-page layout -- I read two pages at a time, the standard book layout, and setting a screen to that type of display means the type is too small for my eyes to handle. Enlarging the type and scrolling makes it even worse -- I read faster than it's possible to scroll a screen without getting nauseous. No matter how I slice it, the technology holds no appeal for me. If the time comes when all books are electronic, I'll limit my reading to placemats and cereal boxes.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    I know some people who swear that the newest kindles, with their non-reflective screens, are as comfortable to read as a printed page. I just love the feel of an actual book.
    My room mate just got a Kindle, and although I have no desire for one, I found myself wishing I could get a computer moniter with a screen like that, that non-reflective surface. Might ease the eyestrain, I get massive headaches from the computer every now and then.

New In Town
    No matter how I slice it, the technology holds no appeal for me. If the time comes when all books are electronic, I'll limit my reading to placemats and cereal boxes.
    This is me as well. I can read short blurby things on screen but anything beyond a paragraph or two makes my eyes glaze over.

I agree with everything that has been said regarding the superiority of a real book over reading electronically. That being said, I now buy most of my books as ebooks. I just can't beat the convenience of always having my reading material with me on my Droid-X whenever I have a few minutes to kill. Plus, I can store a tremendous number of books on a single CD as opposed to one whole closet and a large section of my attic that are devoted to storage of the books I've collected over a lifetime. Reading on the screen was something of an adjustment, but now that I've read twenty or so books in that format it works just fine.