Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading on paper or screen

Quote Originally Posted by HadleyH View Post
    I am curious about something!

Why would anybody need 100 books all at the same time? What for? What is the use of that?

"All the time in the world!"
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by ButteMT61 View Post
    You don't. It was an exaggeration of the fact that I may want to have 10 with me on a vacation. 10 books in my bag - even paperbacks - is ridiculous!
    I can take books with me camping - cooking, emergency medical info, maps, you name it. All books aren't fiction - lots of what I have are reference. And one thing about e-books, they can have video and other helpful things paper books don't. I don't read romance novels
    My daughter is in med school - almost all her books are on the iPad now. She's gone from an 80-pound bag to one device plus one or two books. Can't beat that.

You are talking about specialized circumstances; holidays and your daughter's studies, where reading on screen suits you better.

I am talking for average home use, where a vast number of people would certainly prefer a proper book.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post

"All the time in the world!"

You are talking about specialized circumstances; holidays and your daughter's studies, where reading on screen suits you better.

I am talking for average home use, where a vast number of people would certainly prefer a proper book.
    Don't read books at home

X2!

Perhaps a person likes to read, but doesn't want the unused books doubling as a decoration? 100 books in my pocket means I don't need to make room for 100 books on a book shelf. If I'm reading one book, and I want to read another, but my chair is so comfy I don't want to get up, I can press a few buttons with my thumb and start another one. I used a similar argument giving away all my videogame consoles in favor of having a hundred or so games on my iPhone. Maybe I've just got a fetish for portability and space saving. Whenever I can combine multiple things into one, I tend to. I no longer like having lots of "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by Pompidou View Post
    Perhaps a person likes to read, but doesn't want the unused books doubling as a decoration? 100 books in my pocket means I don't need to make room for 100 books on a book shelf. If I'm reading one book, and I want to read another, but my chair is so comfy I don't want to get up, I can press a few buttons with my thumb and start another one. I used a similar argument giving away all my videogame consoles in favor of having a hundred or so games on my iPhone. Maybe I've just got a fetish for portability and space saving. Whenever I can combine multiple things into one, I tend to. I no longer like having lots of "stuff".
    I respect your opinion, but having said that, this is where some of us go one way and some others go the other way!

I enjoy being surrounded by books, just looking at books gives me comfort, the more books the merrier (the same goes for pictures on the wall and a few other things)

Rooms like this spell heaven to me!................ Screen books ? Nah, thank you very much!

The tangibility of books is a wonderful thing. I can look at my shelves right now and see books I've had for thirty or forty years right alongside books I just got last week. It's like having your whole life on a shelf, available for immediate review, with no batteries or software upgrades required. And Amazon can't come along in the dark of night and delete them, either.

Plus, if I don't like a book or the author makes me mad, I can find much gratification by flinging that book across the room. Punching a "delete" button will never produce the same catharsis.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Pompidou View Post
    I can imagine that living in a small apartment or a dorm room, the convenience of a reader vs a whole bunch of books that you simply do not have room to store would be great.
    Respectfully, if possibly sarcastically,
    John

And... South Pacific! Just outside of Philly!

Also, my Food Blog has posts again, so check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    The tangibility of books is a wonderful thing. I can look at my shelves right now and see books I've had for thirty or forty years right alongside books I just got last week. It's like having your whole life on a shelf, available for immediate review, with no batteries or software upgrades required. And Amazon can't come along in the dark of night and delete them, either.

Plus, if I don't like a book or the author makes me mad, I can find much gratification by flinging that book across the room. Punching a "delete" button will never produce the same catharsis.

I couldn't agree more!

Also, how can you tear away in disgust the pages of a book that you hate??????????? (which I have done a couple of times ) you can't do that with an Ebook, and that ain't good!