Advertisements
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading on paper or screen

Incurably Addicted V.C. Brunswick's Avatar

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    In Golden Era, you read book.
    In Modern Era, book read you.
    You forgot to work in a Chuck Norris reference.
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

My Mail is Forwarded Here Undertow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by V.C. Brunswick View Post
    You forgot to work in a Chuck Norris reference.
    Something along the lines of, "Chuck Norris highlights the Kindle with his fist,"?
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~ C. Palahniuk

Chuck Norris doesn't read a Kindle, Kindles read Chuck Norris.
    Workwear is the new Black.
    I'm not a bearded logger but play one on the internets

Quote Originally Posted by Feraud View Post
    I've been trying to read Moby Dick on an ipad and am not enjoying the format.
    I had a hard time enjoying the oldschool printed version...

My Mail is Forwarded Here Undertow's Avatar
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~ C. Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Feraud View Post
    Chuck Norris doesn't read a Kindle, Kindles read Chuck Norris.

But then what isn't tracked by someone somewhere anymore? And since I am not a highlighter, I do not worry.

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Here's a really good example of why I won't switch to electronic media...

Amazon Tracks Kindle Users' Highlighted E-Book Passages
    It's good thing there are only 5 things tracking your web activity on Fedora Lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
    I think for newspapers, the electronic version is the future. Just imagine how much paper we could save! For traveling, I wold like a tablet device, too. No need to pack 5 different guidebooks: just take the tablet, have the guidebooks in e-format. Look at the pictures you have taken over the day in the evening in a good size and put them online straight away. Oh, and you can take your favourite books (yeah, or things you need to read for work) on vacation, too. One device --> 100 books or so.
    But for pleasure, give me a nice book anytime.
    Exactly. I don't expect books to go anywhere any time soon, but there are circumstances in which digital is simply more convenient, and I'm very ready to embrace that. I'm currently spending a few days teaching at our partner campus in Beijing, and I brought my Kindle with me as it weighs less than one of the paperbacks I was considering. I'm not one to pay out big money for ebooks, but the content I've downloaded for free so far is fantastic. Currently revisiting an old friend in Dracula. Wonderfully convenient over dinner in the hotel, too (due to widely varying schedules in a teaching day that can run between 8am and 8pm, I frequently eat alone out here as opposed to with colleagues). After all day looking at a screen, the e-ink of my kindle is very easy on the eyes. I'd like a Kindle Fire maybe as a tablet in future, but the one-trick pony of the e-ink Kindle is the bee's knees. The killer app for those will be e-ink, no-backlit, in colour - I should think we'll see rapid adoption at that point. I'm interested to see at what point my undergraduates start using them for text books. So far they all stick with paper (partly an availability issue), but given that it is now the norm for them to come to class and take all their notes on laptops, it will only be a matter of time before they embrace that technology too.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Here's a really good example of why I won't switch to electronic media...

Amazon Tracks Kindle Users' Highlighted E-Book Passages
    Interesting. I only use my for pleasure reading, so have never highlighted. (Actually, I'm sure I'm off-grid as I've never yet hooked my Kindle itself up directly to Amazon....). I must start highlighting random bits to play with them. I'll maybe be careful when it comes to the copies of the Bible and the Quran I have on there , but I could have fun otherwise..... must get [i]Moby Dick[i] and highlight every individual use of the word "eskimo"....
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

One Too Many
    Paper. Period. I get enough screen time at work. For leisure and pleasure, it's paper and ink (sorry Edward, you're not looking at ink, e or otherwise, on a kindle. It's lighted pixels or whatever!).