Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Reading on paper or screen

Quote Originally Posted by sheeplady View Post
    Even what printed books one checks out of the library are tracked, I know they are required to hand it over to the government upon request without notifying the patron.
    I haven't checked out books from the library in some 20 years. I'd much rather buy my own copy which isn't that bad as I usually pay a buck or two for them at the library sales, thrift stores and flea markets.
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

That's pretty much the same thing I do -- I used to use the library quite a bit when I was little, despite the librarian glowering over her glasses at me because I insisted on checking out books from the "adult" section, but the library's emphasis now is so much on current stuff that they rarely have anything I'm looking for anyway.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I've seen in a few films (notably Seven), and so far as I know it's absolutely true, that there is a list of book titled 'tagged' by the system in US libraries. Anyone taking out I think three of the twelve or so is automatically p for surveillance of what they read. It's all stuff like Mein Kampf, The Communist Manifesto, and (if memory serves.... it's banned over here, but I think available in the US?) The Anarchist's Cook Book. Naturally one of the spin-offs of computerisation has been that these things are much easier to record.
    In the U.S., I was speaking about the Patriot Act. One of the provisions requires libraries to track patron usage (checked out books and computer usage) and turn these records over the government. Patrons are not allowed to be warned that the library is turning over it's logs. This is against many librarians' personal/ professional beliefs, and when the law was passed, many librarians were quite upset (and still are). A couple of libraries came up with really creative solutions. One library hung out a banner (right on the front) which roughly said: "We are not currently being monitored under the patriot act. Watch for removal of this sign." Some libraries have adopted similar signs.
    Progress: Going from being able to "hear a pin drop" to "can you hear me now?"

Now I use my local library quite frequently, after more than a decade or more of not using public libraries. Mostly I used them when I feel in the mood for either popular fiction or catching up on classical literature. Also I take my 3 year old with me and we have a fun time: he picks up some kids books, I pick up Maughan or Bugakov or whatever and we sit in the big comfy chairs and read (or in his case look at pictures) together for 30 minutes or so. I also rent DVD from them from time to time. Its a nice familly thing to do.

I spend so much money on non-fiction for work, research etc. it is hard for me to spend money on fiction that I read in a day or two and will never read again. So the library works well for that.
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

now... if I could read on Kindle all the biographies from the teens and 1920s ... from Paris and New York,all the rare and hard to find editions, all those forgotten books ...that take me weeks and months to find... if Kindle has all that I will get a Kindle.

Otherwise I will do it the old fashion way I have been doing it all this time and visit the second books shops locally or get it on special bookshops online.

If Kindle has that ok...if it doesn't ---I DON"T NEED YOU KINDLE POO

Think of it this way: lugging several books around when traveling is a great opportunity to exercise both mind AND body at the same time!
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

Quote Originally Posted by V.C. Brunswick View Post
    Think of it this way: lugging several books around when traveling is a great opportunity to exercise both mind AND body at the same time!

Exactly right!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
    Now I use my local library quite frequently, after more than a decade or more of not using public libraries. Mostly I used them when I feel in the mood for either popular fiction or catching up on classical literature. Also I take my 3 year old with me and we have a fun time: he picks up some kids books, I pick up Maughan or Bugakov or whatever and we sit in the big comfy chairs and read (or in his case look at pictures) together for 30 minutes or so. I also rent DVD from them from time to time. Its a nice familly thing to do.
    It is a great family thing to do!
    You are building valuable family memories with your child that no gadget can replace.
    My wife and I spent many hours at bookstores with our son doing just what you do. I've no doubt these experiences helped him become the young adult he is today.
    Workwear is the new Black.
    I'm not a bearded logger but play one on the internets

Reading makes us smarter and nicer. Saw this today and thought of this thread.

And some of these benefits come through particularly if we read on paper.

http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/03/why...#ixzz2XjKlGqdi
    Progress: Going from being able to "hear a pin drop" to "can you hear me now?"

I vaguely recall reading the article but obviously not deeply enough to remember the contents.
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery