Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regular vs. Short jacket

Regular vs. Short jacket

I'm wondering what would be the differences between a 46R and a 46S jacket. I know the sleeves and skirt will be shorter, but by how much? I have a memory that the difference in sleeve length is a couple inches (which will work fine for me), but don't know the length difference. If anyone has a link to a detailed chart of jacket sizing, I would be interested to see it. I know I've seen a diagram of the difference in jacket lengths, but can't remember where that was.
    Thanks

Incurably Addicted
    I was once told by a Hickey-Freeman exec that there is an inch and a half difference between lengths. Mind you, actual lengths can vary between different manufacturers (even different models by the same manufacturer).

Thanks A.C. - that amount might be about right for me - worth a try anyway.

I always thought that regular length suits were for men 5'8" - 6'.

Quote Originally Posted by carldelo View Post
    I'm wondering what would be the differences between a 46R and a 46S jacket. I know the sleeves and skirt will be shorter, but by how much? I have a memory that the difference in sleeve length is a couple inches (which will work fine for me), but don't know the length difference. If anyone has a link to a detailed chart of jacket sizing, I would be interested to see it. I know I've seen a diagram of the difference in jacket lengths, but can't remember where that was.
    Thanks
    I think for some real difference that you will see is that a regular jacket sized coat is about the "average size" length for men that are from about 5' 8" to about 6' tall. In general the sleeves will be in the neighborhood of 25 inches long from the shoulder. The short jacket sizes are portioned for shorter men and the sleeves are about 23 inches long from the shoulder. Now the tall size jackets are for tall men, the sleeves can be as long as 28 inches or longer. It all depends on if the suit/jacket coat was "tailored" or off the rack. A person can buy a size say, 40L and have the sleeves shortened but the length of the coat may be so long that the bottom button is about down to past your crotch. Unless of course you are a taller man and would need the long size.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty150 View Post
    I think you are very correct.

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Lyles View Post
    I was once told by a Hickey-Freeman exec that there is an inch and a half difference between lengths. Mind you, actual lengths can vary between different manufacturers (even different models by the same manufacturer).
    Yes that is very true and yes the maker of the jacket makes a big difference in over all length. I have a few "regular" size jackets that are almost too short on me, and I am not a really tall person, a hair under 6 foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty150 View Post
    Well, that's what every sizing chart I've read says. But there's no mention of arm length, torso length, etc. I'm 5-8.5" tall, and have shortish arms, so Reg jackets, which I've always worn, need the sleeves taken up a quite a bit. I'm wondering if a Short jacket will perhaps need less or no sleeve tailoring, and still fit overall lengthwise. I could loose an inch off the length of most of my jackets, I think. I have a Short jacket on order, so should know the answer in a week or so.

Standing over 5'8", a short jacket may be too short in the body. The jacket length may only come down to your hips and only cover half your butt.

Quote Originally Posted by carldelo View Post
    Well, that's what every sizing chart I've read says. But there's no mention of arm length, torso length, etc. I'm 5-8.5" tall, and have shortish arms, so Reg jackets, which I've always worn, need the sleeves taken up a quite a bit. I'm wondering if a Short jacket will perhaps need less or no sleeve tailoring, and still fit overall lengthwise. I could loose an inch off the length of most of my jackets, I think. I have a Short jacket on order, so should know the answer in a week or so.
    I think a regular length should fit you fine. To shorten the sleeves is a minor job for your local tailor.
    Workwear is the new Black.
    I'm not a bearded logger but play one on the internets