Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Look for the Union Label

Look for the Union Label

I looked for a good thread on the union stamps and couldn't really find one. Since this subject came up in the post your hats thread today, I thought I'd start one where we can consolidate what we know. I'll start with this 1917 ad that states the Young Hat Co was the first mfg to use this union stamp for straw hats. The ad was in a fall edition of the American Hatter from 1917.

B

Last edited by buler; 10-08-2011 at 07:25 AM.
    GO, PACK, GO !!!!!

Here is the stamp in action in an old derby.

B

GO, PACK, GO !!!!!

Here is the second stamp in action.

"
    The United Hatters Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (UHCMW) was formed in 1934 by the amalgamation of United Hatters of North America (UHNA) and the Cloth Hat, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (CHCMW)."

B

GO, PACK, GO !!!!!

Another timeline quote,

"The United Hatters Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (UHCMW) was formed in 1934 by the amalgamation of United Hatters of North America (UHNA) and the Cloth Hat, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (CHCMW). The United Hatters of North America (UHNA) was established in New York in 1896 as the resultof the merger of two Kinights of Labor-affiliated unions in the men's hat industry, the the Hat Makers and the Hat Finishers. The Cloth Hat, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (CHCMW) was established in New York in 1901, as the United Cloth Hat and Cap Makers of North America (superceding the the Cloth Hat and Cap Operators Union), and took its final name (adding Millinery Workers) in 1918. In 1983 the UHCMW joined the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union, which in turn merged in 1995 with the Internional Ladies Garment Workers Union to form UNITE (Union of Needletrades, Industrial and Textile Employees)."

B
    GO, PACK, GO !!!!!

Banned
    1890s or early 1900s high derby

The hat was sold by Romeiser's of Southern Illinois.

As you can see it is the old hatters union label, not the post 1934 version.

Quote Originally Posted by buler View Post
    I looked for a good thread on the union stamps and couldn't really find one.
    Advanced search. Search titles only, keyword "union," got me three pages of hits, about 20% in Hats, and several with this same thread title.

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

Interesting that the letter references woven hats. I assume the bodies for these hats did not originate in union shops or in the United States. Do you think that Young Hat Company was the first granted permission to display the union label on any hat, or does this refer to straw hats made from imported bodies?

Here is the pre-1934 label on an optimo blocked Panama that I own.

Quote Originally Posted by scotrace View Post
    Advanced search. Search titles only, keyword "union," got me three pages of hits, about 20% in Hats, and several with this same thread title.
    I did just that and read thru several. They seemed to start on topic and then go off in other directions (not unusual for the lounge).

B
    GO, PACK, GO !!!!!

New In Town
    I didn't even know there were hatters unions. Not that it matters, I can't seem to find any hats locally anyway.

I have several Crofut & Knapp hats from before 1909 that have the United Hatters of North America label, so I'm not sure what the Young hats are specifically referring to, though I haven't seen that particular logo before.

Brad
    Keeping alive the Hatting History of Crofut & Knapp, Dobbs, and Cavanagh since 2004. Visit my blog, The Hatted Professor.
    New website under construction at TheHattedProfessor.com!