Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: "Should A Kindergartner Really Be Listening To Nicki Minaj?"

Quote Originally Posted by C-dot View Post
    This leads me to my next thought: There really is a huge difference between music of the past that was considered subversive and the music of today, and that is the subject matter. Prior to the Baby Boomer generation, the older generation were more inclined to be stuck in their ways, so anything that was different would have been "shocking," but it didn't contain lyrics about crime, drugs, and misogyny. If it did, I'm certain it wouldn't have ever been recorded.
    Google Shave 'em Dry by Lucille Bogan. Not only does it talk dirty explicitly, but it also uses the F word and the Sh word. Plus it is sung by a woman! It's reported to be about her own sexual escapades. WARNING!! NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED Not only that but there are MANY songs about drugs from the 20's - 40's. Mostly about cocaine and Marijuana. Oh and Skip James sings about cutting a woman in half.
    For what it's worth, I've loved you since Tuesday.
    http://vintagestarlet.blogspot.com/

My Mail is Forwarded Here PrettySquareGal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LolitaHaze View Post
    They covered Aerosmith's Walk this way... That song is DIRTY!
    I didn't say they were clean- just much cleaner.
    2014 feels like a creepy uncle who keeps trying to kiss me. I want to dodge it as much as possible!

I know that she wasn't mainstream, but Lucille Bogan sings about many topics like prostitution, drugs, getting "sloppy drunk", race, weight, sex, and crime. Those songs were recorded back then, just not brought to the mainstream like they would be today.

Also, I liked Blondie in kindergarten. Had NO CLUE what her songs were about. Then when I got a little older it was Madonna with "Like A Virgin." Still NO CLUE what that song was about and I didn't even question it. Then Samantha Fox "Touch Me (I Want Your Body)". My sister and I used to "dance sexy" all the time when we were little. I can see how it would be an issue with it being on youtube (I agree that is creepy!), but in general -- that's what a lot of little girls do. My sister is a doctor and I'm working on my Masters degree. We turned out alright, I think.

Back on topic, the issue is a little girl singing dirty/misogynistic lyrics, having it broadcast to the world by her parents and the general public and media celebrating it as wonderful.
    2014 feels like a creepy uncle who keeps trying to kiss me. I want to dodge it as much as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by LolitaHaze View Post
    Google Shave 'em Dry by Lucille Bogan. Not only does it talk dirty explicitly, but it also uses the F word and the Sh word. Plus it is sung by a woman! It's reported to be about her own sexual escapades. WARNING!! NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED Not only that but there are MANY songs about drugs from the 20's - 40's. Mostly about cocaine and Marijuana. Oh and Skip James sings about cutting a woman in half.
    What are your thoughts about the little girl singing the song in question?

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Jeanne View Post
    I know that she wasn't mainstream, but Lucille Bogan sings about many topics like prostitution, drugs, getting "sloppy drunk", race, weight, sex, and crime. Those songs were recorded back then, just not brought to the mainstream like they would be today.

Also, I liked Blondie in kindergarten. Had NO CLUE what her songs were about. Then when I got a little older it was Madonna with "Like A Virgin." Still NO CLUE what that song was about and I didn't even question it. Then Samantha Fox "Touch Me (I Want Your Body)". My sister and I used to "dance sexy" all the time when we were little. I can see how it would be an issue with it being on youtube (I agree that is creepy!), but in general -- that's what a lot of little girls do. My sister is a doctor and I'm working on my Masters degree. We turned out alright, I think.
    I didn't realize that "Rock-a-bye baby" was about near death until I was older.

A lot of those "dirty records" were alternate takes, recorded for the amusement of the performers, and were never actually intended to be released -- the version of "Shave 'em Dry" that was actually released in 1935 was heavily expurgated. The no-hold-barred version wasn't actually released until the mid-'70s, and has become something of a cult record since, to the point where it's very hard to find the version that was actually issued on 78rpm.

On the other hand, the "I get no kick from cocaine" version of "I Get A Kick Out Of You" was recorded by several mainstream performers, most notably Ethel Merman and Rudy Vallee. It wasn't until NBC refused to allow the original lyric to be performed on the air that Porter wrote an alternate lyric about "perfume from Spain," and that became the standard recorded version from then on.

Baby Rose Marie, however, did not record the original lyric.
    Last edited by LizzieMaine; 10-13-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

I think the root of my not seeing a problem with any of this is that, for whatever reason, I've grown to be (as far as I can tell so far) completely unoffendable. "Yeah, sure, just do whatever you want" is my response to almost everything that isn't a genuine crime, and even some crimes I shrug off on the basis that I think we have too many. I can't think of a single song, movie or video game that I think goes too far - not even one. Whether that's good or bad depends on who you ask. Seems evenly split.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettySquareGal View Post
    What are your thoughts about the little girl singing the song in question?
    I just watched the vid to get a better idea of what it was and I seriously didn't think it was horrible. I think the little girl likes that song (not just the song but style of music) and was having fun with it. I don't think there was any exploitation involved with posting it online. Heck, I couldn't even understand what the kid was saying (my guess is she doesn't either). I took that as a video of fun and not seriousness. I was rocking out to Boy George and Madonna at her age... All in fun.
    For what it's worth, I've loved you since Tuesday.
    http://vintagestarlet.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PrettySquareGal View Post
    I didn't realize that "Rock-a-bye baby" was about near death until I was older.

Never knew "Ring Around The Rosie" was about the Plague until I was in high school!!

As for the video, I can't understand a word the little girl is singing. Her "moves" weren't any worse than the "moves" my sister and I did to Madonna and Sam Fox records. The visual didn't offend me. I can see how it would offend some because it's out in the open (my sister and I have very similar home movies, but they stay in a cabinet at my dad's ) Since I can't understand what she was saying I can't comment. I'm not a Nicki Minaj fan so I'll pass on studying her lyrics. If I don't like it I just ignore it.

RE: Shave Em Dry -- I LOVE the part in the middle where she bursts out laughing and someone else is laughing in the background. What Lizzie said about it being for her own amusement makes perfect sense during that moment.