Page 1 of 105 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Beer Thread

The Great Beer Thread

But what is your favorite brand of beer? I know this is a screwy question. The newspaper article in yesterdays paper talked about the resurrection of the Pabst Blue Ribbon beer company. It was as good as dead a few years ago, being overshadowed by Bud, Coors, and Miller. The younger crowd in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco have brought it back, and the company has resurged.

The beer has been described as "good ol' plain beer". The company spend only $427,000 for advertising, mainly ads, and local promotions. Unlike the giants who spend $300 million just to advertise, like at the superbowl and big events.

There is supposed to be a rebellion, the article stated, against the "naked girls and fast car" ads Budweiser uses.

Plus the fact that PBR is about $1.50 per drink opposed to almost double that at the local pub for the "brand names".

I don't think I ever had one, as my favorite are the craft beers, like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Any votes on what is good or popular in your region. We have members all over this country..so it might be a fun idea to toss out.

Like Pretty Big Guy - what is FUDD Beer? Your profile says that is the home of it...see, this can be a fun topic!

BTW here is the link to the article, which gives the full story.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...ss/8254489.htm
    "Thanks for the memories...."
    "We are Loungers. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

New In Town
    Well, PBR in Tennessee is considered the drink o' the redneck. I find that REALLY interesting that young folks in Seattle and San Fran are bringing it back..

As far as myself, I am enjoying Michelob more lately. I am not sure why, and my compadres dog me about it. The classics are also good, Bud and the like.

My two cents...good topic btw.

Peace,
    Cliffhanger

Gone Home
    Well through the years my tastes have gravitated to dark beers and dark red wine. I like my wine so dark red I can't see through it like a dark cab or syrah. As far as beers and ales,

Guinness Stout of course:

and Bodington's Pub Ale:

And I always support local micro brews like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Mass market beer is well just... too ordinary. Life is short, you have to go for the gusto.

-Sergei

New In Town
    Ahh, Pabst Blue Ribbon. A good friend of mine randomly began to drink PBR back when the Red Sox made it into the playoffs last year. He said it was for good luck. Of course, I inquired as to why PBR would be good luck, and his reply was merely "you'll see" so after a while I stopped asking. Now, let's just say that he hasn't had a PBR for QUITE a long time.

I, personally, have sworn off strong drink, except for special occasions. And on said special occasions I usually gravitate towards something with a bit more kick than beer, so I really have nothing constructive to add beyond my short little tale of the PBR.

Oh, and Andykev, I don't want to give it away, but FUDD beer is the brand rival of DUFF beer, which I believe is bottled in Springfield.

-GCR

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Angeles
    I'd like to se Olympia come back (my Dad's favorite back when he used to drink) and Blatz (proud sponsor of the Amos and Andy TV Show).

I'll have two of those ...

What happend to Hamm's?
    Looking for my Emma Peel.

Matt Deckard Apparel
    Deckard's Guide

END OF LINE

Vancouver (not B.C), Washington (not D.C.)
    I like ales. New Castle Brown Ale is my first choice. Guiness is close second.
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Angeles
    Oh, and Andykev, I don't want to give it away, but FUDD beer is the brand rival of DUFF beer, which I believe is bottled in Springfield.
    I hear they do lots of strange things in Shelbyville ...

-GCR [/B]
    GCR is correct. FUDD bottled in the fictional town of Shelbyville which is always @ odds with Springfield, home of the Simpsons!
    I've never been a drinker of PBR. When I'm home visiting my folks in Illinois, I will tip a bottle of Leinenkugel or Old Style though!
    PBG
    "It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit."
    –a

A famous fan of PBR Beer!

Eddie Robinson having a PBR Beer!!

"Thanks for the memories...."
    "We are Loungers. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."