Advertisements
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pawn stars - john wayne hat

Practically Family

Pawn stars - john wayne hat

Advertisements
    I don't know if you Loungers watch this cable show, but from time to time a customer comes in to sell a hat. On an episode last night,
    a young guy strolls in with a cowboy hat he states the seller in Arizona claimed was worn by Wayne in Rio Lobo or Rio Bravo.
    Hey, I'm a Fedora Lounge member. I spotted this "authentic" number as a Drill Instructor's hat, even looked stiff like wool, was the
    color of old tea and had vent holes on each side with an additional third opening in the front on the crown to accommodate a US badgeor other military insignia. Yes, somehow it had been re-blocked to look like a Western hat. But who's kidding who? The pawn shopper owners had a former Hollywood prop man drop by to authenticate. No dice. It was never worn by the Duke.
    Not a pretty story, nut one that had to be told.

I'm pretty sure the real deal hat was sold in the Wayne auction recently...
    ~Jared

'''Greed: It ain't goin anywhere,' they should have that across a big billboard in Times Square!"
    Joe Strummer
    1952-2002

Familiar Face
    That show ran all day over the Christmas holidays and I did happen to see the one you're talking about - I figured the hat had to be fake just based on the really small size - very unlikely it would have fitted Wayne.

Never seen the show before - some of it was quite interesting.

You're correct about The Duke's hat size, but next time you visit Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood, check out the size of the footprints he left in cement.

For a big guy, he had really small feet!
    Last edited by Corky; 01-09-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    Cold are the hands of time that creep along relentlessly, destroying slowly but without pity...

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    I've wanted to get my hands on John Wayne's Pontiac Wagon for a few years, now. It had a custom built raised roof over the front seat to accommodate, you guessed it, his western hats.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by jlee562 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the real deal hat was sold in the Wayne auction recently...
    +1.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/44459727/High...uction?slide=8
    Last edited by Cicero; 01-10-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Practically Family
    Three things--first, saw the episode and thought it was interesting how the expets come to their conclusions. Who would have thought size would determine whose hat it was! Second, I think the size of the Duke's feet gave him a very distinct way of walking. Finally, my wife has a great picture of her sister and herself taken with John Wayne at the Grand Canyon when she was around 8 years old--in her words, "He was huge!"

The Duke was big

Tall, broad, huge hands ... but small feet. He favored Lucchese custom boots and they were about a 10.5, which is tiny for his size.

He wore a normal sized hat ... about a 7 3/8 ... and the hat that was shown on Pawn Stars was a pathetic example.
    Yes, it was far too small
    Wrong design
    Wrong material

It was hard to tell who was faking whom on that episode ... whether the 'collector' had been swindled or if he was trying to put one over on the show, but it was a pathetic fake.

Sam
    Matthew 10:27-28
    Ezekiel 3:18-19

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Craig View Post
    The Duke was big

Tall, broad, huge hands ... but small feet. He favored Lucchese custom boots and they were about a 10.5, which is tiny for his size.

He wore a normal sized hat ... about a 7 3/8 ... and the hat that was shown on Pawn Stars was a pathetic example.
    Yes, it was far too small
    Wrong design
    Wrong material

It was hard to tell who was faking whom on that episode ... whether the 'collector' had been swindled or if he was trying to put one over on the show, but it was a pathetic fake.

Sam
    Yes and the ridiculous little scrawled "Duke" note in the hat band. Even my kids laughed at that. You could see "The Old Man" from the store freeze up right away when the seller mentioned John Wayne. Good for a laugh though.

The show itself is very educational though and plenty of really interesting vintage items come into the store with experts giving a lot of great information. It's a family favourite of ours for sure.
    "Come on, letís get something to eat. Iím thirsty."

"A List" Customer
    You can see this episode and others on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rv_zYwetSM