Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney's Carousel of Progress

Disney's Carousel of Progress

Originally created for the GE Pavilion at the 1964 World's Fair, the Carousel of Progress was an audio animatronic celebration of the advances that progress had brought to the American home in the early 1900s, the 1920s, the 1940s and the present -- the original script had all kinds of pointed references to GE. In 1967 the attraction was moved to California Disneyland and then subsequently moved to it's present home at Walt Disney World. I remember this was one of my favorite attractions back when it was at Disneyland.

A re-creation of the original 1967 ending.
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

This was one of my favorite attractions at Disney World too! The last time I was there was in 2000, and they had it open for guests only at select times (re: hardly at all). I hope that they don't get rid of it, but just continue updating it as needed. Maybe as more time goes by, add in more eras.

Along these same lines, here are some links commemorating past attractions that have been replaced.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...ne_Voyage_thru

http://www.yesterland.com/

http://www.orlando-florida.net/press...ttractions.htm

I sorely miss "If You Had Wings". I'm so glad they still have the Electric Light Parade though! That song is forever intwined in my childhood memories.

I have very fond memories of the Carousel of Progress at Disneyland. To this day they have never found a good use for the building that used to house it. America Sings was okay, but really only good for about 1 or 2 viewings, then it lost its appeal.

I like the idea of a "Future Showcase" that they have now, but it would be better in another building, put the rotating theaters back in and come up with a really cool new show for it.

Doug

I like the current Rover. When I was a kid I thought the original one looked a bit scary and I think one of his littermates was also in the Pirates of the Carribbean.

I've also noticed that the historical timeline is a bit off. In Act I it's supposed to be Valentines Day 1904 but they talk about Little Egypt dancing at the St. Louis World's Fair which didn't open until April of that year and news couldn't have been THAT slow in 1904 because the Wright Brothers had already made their historic flight the year before! Then in Act II, which is July 4, 1927, Lindbergh is also spoken of in the future tense even though his Transatlantic flight had already occurred two months before.
    Last edited by V.C. Brunswick; 01-20-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE

Practically Family
    I remember the electric fan placed to blow across a chunk of ice in a pan...
    I don't keep close track of Disney (and I didn't check the links) but I believe an employee died at Anaheim, crushed by the carousel mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Espee View Post
    I remember the electric fan placed to blow across a chunk of ice in a pan...
    I don't keep close track of Disney (and I didn't check the links) but I believe an employee died at Anaheim, crushed by the carousel mechanism.
    Yes she was caught between the walls as the carousel rotated from one scene to the next.

Doug

I never saw it.

The one thing that I loved that's gone now is the Country Bear Jamboree

"Kissing a man without a moustache is like drinking champagne without bubbles”

In those days the best painkiller was ice; it wasn't addictive and it was particularly effective if you poured some whiskey over it.~ Gracie Allen

Is the ending in the second video (the "new" ending) posted supposed to be present day? Or the future?

'Cause I seem to lack a voice command oven. Maybe they exist but I've never seen one.

I also never knew that they let the electrical wires hang down like that in the 1920s. In all the pictures I've seen where they are exposed they are clipped out of the way. Was this common?
    Progress: Going from being able to "hear a pin drop" to "can you hear me now?"

Incurably Addicted John in Covina's Avatar
    I saw this at the 1964 Worlds Fair in NY! I am not sure I saw it at Disneyland. It is a piece of my childhood. I also recall the Goodyear tire ferris wheel.
    Blue Skies!

Quote Originally Posted by sheeplady View Post
    Is the ending in the second video (the "new" ending) posted supposed to be present day? Or the future?

'Cause I seem to lack a voice command oven. Maybe they exist but I've never seen one.

I also never knew that they let the electrical wires hang down like that in the 1920s. In all the pictures I've seen where they are exposed they are clipped out of the way. Was this common?
    I think they're trying to suggest that back in the 1920s homes with electricity was a new thing -- at least for the average person -- and that the wiring, particularly in small towns and rural areas where most of the populace still lived back then tended to be DIY. The fact that not everybody had electricity yet is evidenced by many of the radios from the '20s with their "A", "B", and "C" batteries.
    Last edited by V.C. Brunswick; 01-20-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE