Advertisements
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm or 45cal

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggnkat View Post
    OH SWEEEEEET! Nice find, all I see is moth eatten clothes. I need to follow you around!
    Buggnkat,

I've been collecting 1911's for many years and have managed to find some very nice ones, both military and civilian. I've got a good friend who has a company that does estate sales. He calls me whenever there are some interesting firearms. So without his help I would be finding moth eaten clothes too!

This particular firearm belonged to a career Army officer who served from 1941 to 1961. He was a Lt. Col. in the engineers. He had two sons that were at the sale and I could not believe they didn't want to keep their father's sidearm. To be honest it actually made me mad. My father served in the Pacific during WWII and I can assure you if I had his sidearm that I would never consider selling it....not for any price.

DesertDan,

A Rock Island 1911 is a nice pistol for the price. Depending on the amount of your refund though you might want to consider spending a little more and getting a Colt. If you are only going to have one, it might as well be the real deal!

Oh, I will definitely be looking at other manufacturers. We have a few good LGS here and I have had great luck in the past of finding used firearms in great condition for a good price. I'm in no hurry so I can wait until I find the "right" one.

"Few more dollars", WOW try double the price!!

I was skeptical about the RIA's as I was a Colt or go home guy. But when a Colt is over $1000 and a Rock can be had for 1/2 the price, and is made from the very molds Colts were, why spend the schekels if you dont have to?

Mine is just as accurate, shoots just as well and costs 1/2 of the Colt. Course if you have the money to blow, why not, or if you are into collecting there is no argument there. But if you want to CCW or shoot at the range, why spend all that money?
    "Honor's a good brooch to wear in a man's hat at all times."
    Ben Jonson

If you take your time and look around you can find a nice used Colt in the $600 to $800 range. Bud's Gun Shop online has pretty good prices when they have new Colts in stock. I bought a new 1991 Series Government model from them a few months back for $875.00. If you are patient, Colts can be had for a reasonable price.

I'm certainly not knocking the RIA either. They are great pistols but there is just something about having a real Colt....at least to me there is.

Take care.

"Few more dollars", WOW try double the price!!

I was skeptical about the RIA's as I was a Colt or go home guy. But when a Colt is over $1000 and a Rock can be had for 1/2 the price, and is made from the very molds Colts were, why spend the schekels if you dont have to?

Mine is just as accurate, shoots just as well and costs 1/2 of the Colt. Course if you have the money to blow, why not, or if you are into collecting there is no argument there. But if you want to CCW or shoot at the range, why spend all that money?
    What's with the molds, I thought the Colt's were forged.

Colt are forged steel. I'm not sure about Rock Islands though. I would think they probably are too. They are made by Armscor in the Phillipines and have a very good reputation.

Rocks are forged also, but its the same machinery that made Colts in the day. Just pritor to the invasion of the PI by the Japenese Colt sent the machinery to the PI. Following liberation the company that would become Armscor received permission to manufacture weapons in the PI. Pretty interesting story to read about. So Rocks are Colts just under a different name.

Again though, if you want one for collecting I see the point, but dollar for dollar why buy a used pistol (and maybe problems) when you can buy new?
    "Honor's a good brooch to wear in a man's hat at all times."
    Ben Jonson

...Again though, if you want one for collecting I see the point, but dollar for dollar why buy a used pistol (and maybe problems) when you can buy new?
    Hi

Knock on wood and all, but I've been happy with the used guns I've purchased. In fact one, is the ultimate keeper, a WW2 Rand 1911. New has to be broken in...

Later
    Mike

Groucho Marx said it best:
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

1961MJS, I've been lucky too. There are quite a few old pistols out there that were bought, never fired and have been sitting in their original box for many years. I find hunting for them as much fun as finding them.

Buggknat, that's an interesting story about the machinery. I've been collecting Colts for many years and have never heard that story about Colt and Armscor. I know that the Argentina Colts were made on old Colt machinery that was part of a package deal Colt made with them. Is the Armscor story posted somewhere? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.