Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 311

Thread: 9mm or 45cal

  1. #131
    Familiar Face ecorrigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Northwestern Montana
    Posts
    90
    Chaps, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ruger firearms. Ruger makes a great handgun, always has and I believe they always will. I personally carry a Smith and Wesson M&P .45ACP. It's difficult to conceal a full-size .45, but I somehow manage to do it! I love the .45 caliber. I carried a 9mm as a police officer, but now it's a .40 S&W for a duty gun. My personal concealed carry handgun is a .45, but my duty gun is a .40.
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion, but rather default to your level of training!

  2. #132
    One of the Regulars Chaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Posts
    159
    I also have a Uberti 1873 Single Action Army in .45LC that I like to carry every now and then. It is a little more difficult to pull off in conceal carry mode, but it is fun to carry a cowboy gun.

  3. #133
    Familiar Face Buggnkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Some place hot and humid
    Posts
    94
    Ecorrigan do you find the SW a bit of an ammo snob? I owned one and found that it was a good shooting gun but if you used anything in it but factory Rems it had a bad tendancy to jam on me.

    Chaps, heck of a pistol to pack! I too do love those cowboy guns. How does yours shoot?
    "Honor's a good brooch to wear in a man's hat at all times."
    Ben Jonson

  4. #134
    Familiar Face ecorrigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Northwestern Montana
    Posts
    90
    Buggnkat, I haven't had a problem with any of the ammo I've fed through it. From a multitude of factory ammo to the handloads that I put through it, it's never given me any grief! It works great!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion, but rather default to your level of training!

  5. #135
    Practically Family Kirk H.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by ecorrigan View Post
    Chaps, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ruger firearms. Ruger makes a great handgun, always has and I believe they always will. I personally carry a Smith and Wesson M&P .45ACP. It's difficult to conceal a full-size .45, but I somehow manage to do it! I love the .45 caliber. I carried a 9mm as a police officer, but now it's a .40 S&W for a duty gun. My personal concealed carry handgun is a .45, but my duty gun is a .40.
    I too am issued the M&P 40 but carry the M&P 45 midsize as an OD weapon.

  6. #136
    One Too Many ThesFlishThngs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    1,006
    This has been an interesting and informative thread, for a woman who has just completed her 'concealed carry' certification. I haven't yet purchased a weapon, but have tacked my bullet-riddled paper target guy to the front window as a warning....

  7. #137
    One of the Regulars Chaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggnkat View Post

    Chaps, heck of a pistol to pack! I too do love those cowboy guns. How does yours shoot?
    It shoots a little high, but it's not bad for fixed sights. It is a lot smoother than I thought it would be. Great gun to shoot.

  8. #138
    One Too Many Landman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,643
    Personally I prefer 45 ACP but believe accuracy is most important. If you are not comfortable with a 45 and can shoot a 9mm better then go with it.

    For concealed carry it is hard to beat a 1911 style pistol because of the slim width. Of course it is thin because it is a single stack pistol so you are giving up capacity for comfort. I'm ok with that for a concelaed carry gun though. Below is a picture of one of mine. It is a Colt Officer's Model which gives you a 1911 in a smaller package. It has a 3 1/2 barrel and a shorter grip. However, Colt has some new flush fitting mags for the Officer so you can carry 7 rounds instead of 6 in the mag. Same capacity as a Government Model.


  9. #139
    Familiar Face Buggnkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Some place hot and humid
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesFlishThngs View Post
    This has been an interesting and informative thread, for a woman who has just completed her 'concealed carry' certification. I haven't yet purchased a weapon, but have tacked my bullet-riddled paper target guy to the front window as a warning....
    That might very well be the best deterent so far!!!
    "Honor's a good brooch to wear in a man's hat at all times."
    Ben Jonson

  10. #140
    Incurably Addicted John in Covina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Covina, Califonia 91722
    Posts
    11,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggnkat View Post
    do you find the SW a bit of an ammo snob? I owned one and found that it was a good shooting gun but if you used anything in it but factory Rems it had a bad tendancy to jam on me.
    One thing that i noticed in the Gun Tests magazine they would do a seires of tests with a wide variety of ammo and for some guns they would find as you did a particular brand that the firearm functioned best with. I'd suspect a problem if it only works reliably with one brand.

    Another thing was in the tests they'd sometime come up with one brand / type of ammo that a firearm was most accurate and others that they would have the widest groups. So in the end if you find one that works best, is the most reliable and or accurate it's something to consider for daily carry.
    Blue Skies!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •