Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies you wished you had never watched.

L.A., where your waiter from today will be on casting call tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin&Tonics View Post
    Thin Red Line is aggravating because if they had cut out all the boring philosophical crap and only included the awesome, hectic, beautifully filmed battle scenes, it would be a decent war movie. The rest is just drivel! Why oh why did they do this?!
    Yes, the philosophical meanderings got out of hand, even if one of the main characters is of Greek ancestry. As you noted, there were some excellent battle scenes, and a good, if brief appearance by Sean Penn as a young 1ST Sergeant.

The movie that I wished I had never wasted my night on was Maniac (the 1980 film). Many years ago, my buddies and I (along with our poor girlfriends) were forced to watch it at someone's home. What bloody junk...
    1. John 3:16, 17
    2. Dress to please yourself, but do take others into some consideration.

-Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
    Remake of "Planet of the Apes" with Mark Walberg.
    I think I'm the only person in the world who liked that. Was it a patch on the original? No. Was it entertaining? Yes. The one thing for which I did not care was them making the humans on the ape world able to talk - preferred it when they were mute. Real shame it didn't do so well - I'd love to have seen a sequel pick up where that one left off, because where they left it it was set right up for something closer to the original Monkey Planet book than anything yet seen. The most recent addition to the franchise was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf View Post
    Too many to list:

"Eraserhead" - WTF? I must be trippin'.
    One of the worst piles of tripe I have ever seen. Quite possibly the most pronounced case of Emperor's New Clothes in modern cinema.

[i]"The Spirit" - Thank god Will Eisner never lived to see this crap.[/QUOTE]

I liked that, but then I've never seen the source material, so.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCairo View Post
    Now, Dick Van Dyke in anything by Disney, THAT is cringe-worthy!
    He was quite good as the murderer in an episode of Columbo. It was the first time I'd seen him play the bad guy.
    Monocle: This may be worn by (1) good dukes, (2) all Englishmen. No bad man may wear a monocle. ~P. G. Wodehouse

Quote Originally Posted by Touchofevil View Post
    Don't understand the hatred for Starbucks. Although I am not often a patron of theirs, obviously I am a minority as there are Starbucks everywhere and they look to be always busy. The beauty of variety is that it provides for all. There is nothing wrong with liking frills and foo-foos with your coffee. Unfortunately, in the world of coffee so many have become snobbish. All it is is coffee, nothing to be elitist about. It would be quite annoying if we were to all enjoy only the same and not embrace variety.
    Hey, I agree with most of what you said. Variety is indeed he spice of life. I just personally think that Starbucks, the way I drink it, tastes like a cup of mud. There are plenty of people who love the stuff. More power to 'em.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - J.H.P.

Thin Red Line is aggravating because if they had cut out all the boring philosophical crap and only included the awesome, hectic, beautifully filmed battle scenes, it would be a decent war movie. The rest is just drivel! Why oh why did they do this?!
    IMO Thin Red Line was better *because* of the "boring philosophical crap." When the film came out and was out-hyped and buried under the Saving Private Ryan juggernaut, I felt that the better film was--and still is--Thin Red Line. If anyone has a copy of the Criterion edition they don't want, feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I liked that, but then I've never seen the source material, so.
    Wow, you've such style and taste and I follow your comments with interest I'm amazed you've not heard of Eisner. The source material actually was a 6 Page comic supplement started in 1939/40 by Eisner. His work was/is groundbreaking. So much so that the biggest award in the Comic Arts world is called "The Eisner". The Spirit was funny, brash, full of adventure, busty women and true to the times, racial stereotypes but it was groudbreaking in layout, quality and... dare I say "Spirit". The film version is often considered by many the worst film of all time. I consider it worse than that I consider it Blasphemy, sacrilage, heresy of the highest order. Still to each his own.

Worf

I am with you on this. I remember seeing the movie and when we got of the theater asking "What the heck was that".

Kirk

New In Town
    well,have to say the film u had seen is the director's imagination and the director just ruined ur dream in some way.i really understand what u said so dont make comparison and u will be happy

My Mail is Forwarded Here AmateisGal's Avatar
    Wanted with Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy. I really "wanted" (hehe) to like this movie, but thought it was the most god-awful tripe I've ever seen. The whole wristwatches on the mice was really the icing on the cake. I wished I'd never rented this flick.

Cold Mountain purely because of the ending. Good film up until that!
    Melissa
    Writing with Style
    World War 2 Reviews

Banned
    The Star Wars prequels. If anyone wants a good laugh, search Red Letter Media and watch their Star Wars prequels dissection. I guarantee that 95% of you will not be disappointed.