Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Vintage GERMAN Suits

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster"
    Yep, that is an awesome suit.
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Kurtz View Post
    Yep, that is an awesome suit.
    It is a great one!
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

A peculiar German Loden jacket, about size 40-42, made in Saxony (probably for a hunter/sport-shooter) - obviously influenced by Alpine fashion:

Any opinions on the age?

It features long narrow buttonholes (for real horn buttons), a long flared silhouette, high armholes, extremely slanted shoulder seams, very lightly padded shoulders, richly patterned sleeve lining, lots of handstitching...
    The crafting would be already quite old-fashioned for the 1930's IMO, only the lapels might suggest 30's.
    My gut feeling and the details mentioned above tell me rather 1910's-20's... anyone agree?

Any fans of Loden or Alpine style here?

Best Regards
    Last edited by Fastuni; 01-04-2013 at 05:46 AM.

I agree with you. The very narrow buttonholes (not edged with gimp) are more typical of older dates. So is the slanted and slightly curved shoulder seam, the body lining, the sleeve lining which seems to be cotton, the run of the side seams and the cut of the sleeves. Could be 30s, but would have been quite old fashioned by the late 30s. The square hem, lack of front dart and length and flare of the skirt is also indicative, but, as with some of the other details, might be due to the fact that it is a sporting/"alpine style" jacket.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Flat Foot Floey's Avatar
    I know a guy from sweden who might like this. But he is size 36/38 rather than 40/42. Funny, isn't it?

I wouldn't wear it myself and tihnk it would look out of place in the Ruhrpott or even Wiesbaden. Ask someone from bavaria. Oh wait...that's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastuni View Post
    Any fans of Loden or Alpine style here?

Best Regards
    Forgot to mention I am quite a fan. Do you plan to sell it?

@FFF

Haha... except that "Trachten" don't look good on me at all. It's too large and too old-fashioned for me anyway.

But I can imagine that it would look good on someone who is more of an outdoorsman or "Oktoberfest" enthusiast.
    It certainly is in an outstanding condition for it's age.

@Qirrel

I'll send you a PM.
    Last edited by Fastuni; 01-04-2013 at 09:32 AM.

More photos of the "C&A - Formtreu" 30's suit (now for sale in the classifieds). German "off-the-rack" clothing is quite an interesting field, particularly "big names" like C&A... tailor manufacturing was at that time still very strong here compared to the US... in 1931 50% of German menswear was made by "small tailors". It is very interesting to read about the anger, frustration and contempt expressed in German tailor publications of the 1920-40's over the expanding industrial "confection" production of clothing.

As a sidenote, "C&A" had for years among many Germans the reputation of helping Catholic causes.

Last edited by Fastuni; 01-06-2013 at 09:54 AM.

That fabric is amazing. What a lovely suit!

Next time, please find one in my size.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

I'll do my best.
    Worth of note C&A had high-street stores in Britain from 1922-2000.
    Now finding the British C&A equivalent to this suit... that would be something.
    They certainly would have a separate collection for Britain - with British tailoring features.
    Last edited by Fastuni; 01-06-2013 at 01:25 PM.