Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?

Banned

Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?

Hey Ladies, I need your advice. I found this eally beautiful dress that looks amazing on me.
    I was thinking about wearing it to a wedding. The wedding starts at 4pm for the ceremony and reception will shortly follow at about 6 - 7pm. I was telling a friend about it, and she thinks that I shouldn't wear red, because it will be 'asking for too much attention' and it's rude. I never really thought about this before, so I need advice. What do you guys think? Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?
    Last edited by LizzieMaine; 02-16-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spam link deleted.

One of the Regulars AdrianLvsRocky's Avatar
    I really don't think so. I've been to plenty of weddings where guests have worn red. A few people wore red to my wedding - it didn't even cross my mind that there was anything wrong with it.

I think the only real no-no for weddings is white/ivory colours for obvious reasons.

I recently wore red to a friend's wedding. Albeit because she asked me and a few friends to do so, so that we'd match the wedding colours. I think red was a nice foil to her white dress.

I've honestly never heard of red being an issue so don't think you have anything to worry about.

I agree with Adrian - I've been to plenty of weddings where people wore red. The only no-nos I know is white, like Adrian said, and black because it's a joyous occasion and hence black (for women obviously) isn't appropriate.

Hi

I think it's probably o.k. for the ladies to wear a red dress for a wedding, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a guy wearing a bright red suit to my wedding, truly disgusting colored tuxes are reserved for the groomsmen...

Mike

Groucho Marx said it best:
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

It may be a cultural thing perhaps. Don't Chinese brides wear red on their wedding day? Maybe your friend got confused, because unless the bride is wearing it I also don't see anything wrong with it. At least it's not jeans...

Suspended
    I Think it highly inappropriate if your the On friendly terms, Ex-Wife

[B]Beautiful Faces Come Out Of Vanity Cases[/B]

I have always heard that one shouldn't wear red or white to a wedding unless you are asked to do so by the bride. White tries to look like the bride, and red is such an eye catching color it draws attention away from the bride.

Or at least those are the rules i've heard/ read in ettiquette books.

In the end, it's up to you. If you really like the dress, and don't think the bride or her family would mind or care, go for it!

Can you ask the bride? Are you close enough?
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - J.H.P.

Spam? I remember posts like this before that linked to that website.

Quote Originally Posted by sheeplady View Post
    I have always heard that one shouldn't wear red or white to a wedding unless you are asked to do so by the bride. White tries to look like the bride, and red is such an eye catching color it draws attention away from the bride.

Or at least those are the rules i've heard/ read in ettiquette books.

In the end, it's up to you. If you really like the dress, and don't think the bride or her family would mind or care, go for it!
    This must be one of those cultural things, because I've never seen it in etiquette books here (not that I've read any printed after 1960, but anyway). As for Britain, I consulted Debrett's and they say:

Head-to-toe outfits in white or cream should never be worn and all black, unless cleverly accessorised, may look too sombre.
    They say nothing about red, so I assume that Debrett's thinks it OK, anyway (and they know British etiquette).

Maybe America has rules of its own?
    The Rags of Time - my history blog