Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Show Us Your Vintage 1920s & 1930s knitwear & Crocheted Garments

No, still can't see anything.

"A List" Customer Miss Tuppence's Avatar

I’ve stupidly started to knit this- I doubt I’ll ever have an occasion to wear it, and I doubt I’ll ever finish it, as I most probably will loose interest or regain some sanity in the middle of the making!
    Last edited by Miss Tuppence; 03-30-2012 at 03:16 PM.

"A List" Customer Katinka von K.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Tuppence View Post

I’ve stupidly started to knit this- I doubt I’ll ever have an occasion to wear it, and I doubt I’ll ever finish it, as I most probably will loose interest or regain some sanity in the middle of the making!
    Wow, good luck with it. It would be so cool to see it finished.
    K is for kitsch

Sometimes I do blog

Familiar Face
    Quote Originally Posted by VintageBaroness View Post
    This is the 30s knit swimsuit I have my eye on getting made. Bet the colours would bleed, though, when wet
    It depends on what the knitter makes it out of. There are many yarns that won't bleed. A lot of wool is oversaturated with dye and will loose some colour the first or second time that you wash it, and then never bleed again (especially if you add a little vinegar to the wash).

One of the Regulars VintageBaroness's Avatar
    OOOOh, good to know. Might just need to go ahead with this idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by JennieWren View Post
    It depends on what the knitter makes it out of. There are many yarns that won't bleed. A lot of wool is oversaturated with dye and will loose some colour the first or second time that you wash it, and then never bleed again (especially if you add a little vinegar to the wash).
    Blog: "Tea with the Vintage Baroness"

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming"--Myrna Loy

Been trawling my pics, but I have very few of most of my clothes! I did manage to find this one of a 1930s knit suit, however. First one I bought, quite a number of years ago now.

There is no time, Madam, at which hats do not matter.

Right. Had the camera out today so took a few pics of some things on my mannequin. All are 1930s. Yes, I realise it's not the same as seeing it on a body, but I'm Home Alone, so you'll have to forgive me! Oh, and I was too lazy to get the iron out as well! :P

This one I dyed. It was white and rather unwearable, so sea green it became! It is very long and there is a turned over piece where the skirt meets the top. Obviously a bit long for the original wearer. Also the collar was a funny shape so it has been turned in and stitched.

Later 1930s two piece. I will be changing the belt buckle soon as I get it off a friend of mine. I'm not a fan of diamente on daywear.

Made from a sort of cotton/rayon. Lighter than it looks. I changed the buttons - the ones on there when I got it were put on by the friend I bought it from. These look alot better.

Familiar Face
    If you can find it in the library "The Knitter's Book of Yarn" by Clara Parkes has a pretty good fibre run-down if you don't know what you are looking for, but generally for something that is going to get wet you want wool, since it will be able to absorb water without getting weighted down by it, and will keep it's shape pretty well. Any newly knit piece unless the knitter had occasion to wash the yarn prior to knitting (I'm glaring at you barfing cat of doom!) ought to be washed with some vinegar in the wash to keep your colours nice and bright. If you are getting a bespoke item made for you, be picky about your yarn and the types of dyes that were used on it. In TO you've got access to a number of great yarn stores (jealous!), and I'm sure that the ladies (or perhaps gents) working there would love to help you out. There's nothing a knitter likes more than talking about yarn, except perhaps knitting it (and accumulating it, ostensibly to knit with, but mainly, if we're really honest, just to fondle).
    This is a pretty nice little article on dyeing yarn: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATaciddye.html

Miss Sis

Been trawling my pics, but I have very few of most of my clothes! I did manage to find this one of a 1930s knit suit, however. First one I bought, quite a number of years ago now.
    Miss Sis, THAT is amazing!!!

CrazyDaisy, thank you! It is manufactured, although there is no label, but I have seen a crochet pattern with the same chevron stitch pattern floating about.

That's something I don't do, crochet. I can do a few very basic things, but I just can't get the hang of it, so I keep knitting instead.

I like this suit as I can wear different colour slips under it and change the look. I probably like it best with brown under it to give it some depth.