Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feels like fancy dress.......

One of the Regulars katiesparkles's Avatar
    Stockings for sure, but not the red lippes and "long" skirts. He jokes about those being my librarian clothes. Hahaha

It took me a little while to get used to it. At first I felt a bit over dressed wearing dresses and flowers in my hair to help volunteer with the other "band moms" but now I don't even think twice. I think they almost expect it of me. I also don't think twice about getting "dressed up" to go to the grocery store. I am a housewife and mom so somedays that is the only time I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by katiesparkles View Post
    Stockings for sure, but not the red lippes and "long" skirts. He jokes about those being my librarian clothes. Hahaha
    I don't wear stockings -- I was a socks-and-flats kind of gal. My husband didn't mind that, but he also dislikes the long skirts. He's British and was dead-set against me dressing like his "gran." He told me she dressed EXACTLY like the way I used to and it was a serious turn-off for him. Vintage clothing wasn't as important to me as my marriage, so i toned it down. I also had a few issues at work with the vintage garb -- again, vintage dressing isn't as important as my job so it was another reason to tone it down. As I said, I still do my hair and makeup vintage and I still dress with vintage flair. All my tattoos are vintage-y, too, so it is still very important to me.
    Last edited by Amy Jeanne; 03-04-2012 at 01:52 PM.

New In Town
    I have spent all afternoon and evening with victory rolls in, just been pottering around, cooking, doing the washing and the dishes! They are the first decent ones I have done and am really happy with them. No comments from the other half when he got in, so they can't be too way out :-) Will try them for work soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Jeanne View Post
    I don't wear stockings -- I was a socks-and-flats kind of gal. My husband didn't mind that, but he also dislikes the long skirts. He's British and was dead-set against me dressing like his "gran." He told me she dressed EXACTLY like the way I used to and it was a serious turn-off for him. Vintage clothing wasn't as important to me as my marriage, so i toned it down. I also had a few issues at work with the vintage garb -- again, vintage dressing isn't as important as my job so it was another reason to tone it down. As I said, I still do my hair and makeup vintage and I still dress with vintage flair. All my tattoos are vintage-y, too, so it is still very important to me.
    Yeah, I do have quite a few Americana-style tattoos.. well, all but one actually (that one looks like a prison tattoo - I'm hard cookie. Hahahaha! Kidding!).
    Stockings I actually only wear on special occasions as well, not to work. In the winter I have a really hard time dressing vintage anyway due to a long commute + the New England weather. Lame excuse, I know... one more reason on my list to move somewhere warm

It'll be my first summer at my current job this year, so hopefully people won't be too weirded out by me wearing dresses and capris... we shall see. Haha. May I ask where you work?

I guess when I think vintage I don't think long skirts. I am not completely true to each decade and do mix it up a bit. I never wear long skirts only because they make me look short. My husband did laugh the first time he saw me sporting rolls but only because it was so different. I don't wear stockings, or panty hose as I call them, often because I live in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by SheBear74 View Post
    I guess when I think vintage I don't think long skirts. I am not completely true to each decade and do mix it up a bit. I never wear long skirts only because they make me look short. My husband did laugh the first time he saw me sporting rolls but only because it was so different. I don't wear stockings, or panty hose as I call them, often because I live in Florida.

I often feel "naked" without a panty hose... maybe it's just because I'm self-conscious about my weight/body (don't mean to start a pity party here, no worries ), but I feel like everything jiggles when I don't wear a panty hose. *shudder* I don't like that feeling. I hear you though, I bet in the Floridian heat a panty hose is close to torture.

As for the skirts - again, due to mentioned above, I actually prefer long skirts. Not down to my ankles (or "maxi skirts"), that makes me look like a munchkin being only 5'2, but never more than 2 inches below my knee if I can avoid it. My favorite length is about 1-3 inches below the knee actually.

I wear vintage almost every day and always vintage style even if the clothes are modern or repro, and it feels very natural to me now and I don't really reflect on my outfits being outside of the norm, I only get reminded of it when people comment on my style. But then I built up to it slowly so it wasn't an overnight transition! I started out wearing 50s style dresses and using eyeliner and red lipstick a few years ago and slowly over the last 3 years I've got into vintage and started dressing more vintage rather than retro or rockabilly. I think the slow progression made it feel less "costumey" and made it less of a shock to people around me!

But like fortworthgal I wear slightly toned down vintage or repro to work, like a 40s or 50s dress with a cardigan, or a top and a skirt, often with vintage or vintage-inspired shoes and a vintage bag, but I try to make the whole look fairly casual since I work at a University where most people wear jeans and casual clothes to work. I've had a bit of a blip with my hair and have worn it straight for a while, but I've recently started setting it and wearing it curled again, but I tend not to wear victory rolls or very elaborate hairdos for work, I keep that for weekends or nights out! I also only wear sheer red lipstick or a muted pink at work and save the bright red for weekends (but I wear it in the daytime then!). But that's just my personal comfort level and it probably depends a lot on where you work

oops, I just read the previous page and missed this one!

As for husbands.... mine has slowly got used to it and he now really likes the vintage! At first he thought it was a bit "prim and proper", maybe because he's a bit of an "alternative" guy with a lot of tattoos etc (he still laughs at me whenever he's dragged me along to a punk gig and I sit there with my bag in my lap looking extremely prim!), but it's been the cat eye glasses that have been the hardest to get by him! He hated them with a passion for a long time... now he doesn't mention it anymore, so I think he may have got used to them, or maybe just given up on trying to get them off my face

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBear74 View Post
    I don't wear stockings, or panty hose as I call them, often because I live in Florida.
    Getting slightly off topic here but are you referring to the things with individual legs, held up by suspenders? If so, how do you differentiate between those and what I would call tights but I understand are also called panty hose, the things with both legs and a panty part at the top?

I don't much like tights/panty hose/stockings (except woolly tights to keep me warm in winter) but am definitely a hold-ups kind of gal. No suspender lines on the outside, no awkward belt around the hips or waist, and the sort of look that husbands appreciate