Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Jones style hat

No they will not crease the hat prior to shipping from Hats Direct. David Morgan has the Akubra Adventuer that they will crease for an additional 20.00. But creasing is not that hard to do and as others have stated the Akubra is a tough hat so you will not break it.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is one of my Fed IVs

Kirk
    Last edited by Kirk H.; 03-02-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone.
    Does the Fed IV have a taller crown than the cheeper official IJ hat?
    Also, I do not know, and I am not sure I want to know how, to crease a new hat. Will the crease the Fed IV prior to shipping?
    Yes, the Fed IV is about 5 5/8" open crown, IIRC.

Creasing a hat is NOT HARD! I swear to you! Check out the video that DJH posted of John Penman doing an Indy crease.
    ~Jared

'''Greed: It ain't goin anywhere,' they should have that across a big billboard in Times Square!"
    Joe Strummer
    1952-2002

New In Town
    Wow. He creased that hat in about 2 min! That does not look very hard at all.
    Hmmmm. No that the fear is gone, I need to decide on which hat!

There are so many beautiful hats out there, it really is hard to decide!

Many thanks once again.
    Mike

Mike, you want an Indy hat for not too high a price?

I'd say there are two to look at:

Fed IV as already mentioned.

Garrison Hatters - this is a custom made hat and David Garrison is selling them right now for $175; really good deal.

Here's my Garrison

Want something better? Look at the Adventurebilt Henry or one of the all beaver customs from Penman Hats.

To be honest, I really love the Garrison. Mine is my go-to outdoor, crappy weather hat - it takes a lot of abuse and looks as nice as the day it arrived.
    Last edited by DJH; 03-02-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Cheers!
    David - 21st Century Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here Rick Blaine's Avatar
    The Federation is unbeatable..... my .o2
    "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
    Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness,
    for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

-Jules Winnfield

New In Town
    Wow. I like the look of the Garrison! Any idea what the delivery time frame is? It looks like he makes each hat as you order it?
    How about sizing of this hat? True to size or ....?
    I like that hat!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJH View Post
    Mike, you want an Indy hat for not too high a price?

I'd say there are two to look at:

Fed IV as already mentioned.

Garrison Hatters - this is a custom made hat and David Garrison is selling them right now for $175; really good deal.

Here's my Garrison

Want something better? Look at the Adventurebilt Henry or one of the all beaver customs from Penman Hats.

To be honest, I really love the Garrison. Mine is my go-to outdoor, crappy weather hat - it takes a lot of abuse and looks as nice as the day it arrived.

Garrison is a custom hatter, made to your measurements.

Yep, you give him your actual measurement and David will make the hat to suit.

At the time I got mine the wait was about 7 or 8 weeks. This included him taking a break to move the office for his day job (the custom hat guys often do this as a part time gig) so the wait might be shorter now. I'd give him a shout and ask him.
    Cheers!
    David - 21st Century Man

I have three Federations - two IVs, and a III. They are fantastic hats. There is no comparison to a Dorfman-Pacific, especially the wool variety.

Feds are full-bodied, great looking, tough hats. My brown IV is my go-to hat that I wear 90% of the time. Creasing is simple, as shown in the video. If you like the crease, then set it with steam, or with water from a spray bottle, my preferred method. And then if you decide later that you want to change the crease, just wet or steam it again and re-do or adjust it.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - J.H.P.

If you youtube you can find my other vids for the Raiders if you want. There out there for the viewing. Its not that hard to crease a hat just take your time with it and try not to put anything harsh. Watch the vid a couple of times and you will notice I don't put anything firm right away.