Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Tuxedo Etiquette

One of the Regulars damienweaver's Avatar

Regarding Tuxedo Etiquette

So here's the deal: I'm getting married this June in New England. Saturday 2:00 p.m. in a nice little summer chapel in the country. Reception won't start in earnest until 6:00 p.m. If I want to keep this a semi-formal affair, do I really need to do the morning suit and tuxedo change for the reception? Or could I just wear the tux all day? I know tradition dictates that I can't wear evening attire in the mid-afternoon, but I wanted to hear what you gents think. I know plenty of others are doing it. Is it still a major faux pas or have guidelines truly loosened?

My Mail is Forwarded Here Flat Foot Floey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by damienweaver View Post
    Is it still a major faux pas or have guidelines truly loosened?
    Both

I am no big help, sorry. I think you already answered your own question and it's up to you to decide.

"In Chile..."
    At the event, it's a safe bet that no one but you would mind either way.

Practically Family
    Canterbury and Burgess Hill, UK (former expat)
    In the UK (where things are often different), it is considered perfectly acceptable to continue wearing the clothes appropriate to the time the festivities started even if it continues into a time of day when different clothing is required - thus if it's a day time thing and it continues to the evening, you can continue to wear morning dress, and if it starts in the evening and last till the following morning you can remain in evening dress (thus demonstrating to everyone on the way home you go to some awesome parties). The reception (again I'm talking UK rules!) is usually considered to be part of the wedding celebrations and thus, whilst it's more correct to change if it's an evening reception, it is also not incorrect to remain in daywear. If you don't want to change, I'd do the opposite of what you are proposing and stay in morning dress (or, if you want to be more semi-formal, a "stroller" - though I'd say follow the bride's lead regarding formality) for the day. Wearing a dinner jacket at 2 o'clock is more of a faux pas then, in this circumstance, wearing morning dress past 6:30

My advice would be to pick the outfit you wanted for the ceremony and wear that the whole time rather than changing. At the end of the day its your wedding and you both are setting the dress code.

I've read in an etiquette book or two (I want to say in one of my vintage Esquire ones and also an old British men's wear guide... but not sure) that its fine to keep wearing the daytime wear (ie the morning dress, etc.) from the afternoon event throughout the evening's later activities. I've done that myself at my own wedding, and I've had that happen at several of the weddings I've attended.

EDIT: oops Cobden just beat me to it...
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

Practically Family
    Home of the 2013 Sugar Bowl Champions and 2013 Men's National Basketball Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by damienweaver View Post
    So here's the deal: I'm getting married this June in New England. Saturday 2:00 p.m. in a nice little summer chapel in the country. Reception won't start in earnest until 6:00 p.m. If I want to keep this a semi-formal affair, do I really need to do the morning suit and tuxedo change for the reception? Or could I just wear the tux all day? I know tradition dictates that I can't wear evening attire in the mid-afternoon, but I wanted to hear what you gents think. I know plenty of others are doing it. Is it still a major faux pas or have guidelines truly loosened?
    I agree with everyone, its your day do as you want. You stated "semi-formal" but you loose that by wearing a tuxedo. If you want a tux wear it, but in my opinion since you did ask: "A Saturday afternoon in a nice little summer chapel in the country" is not generally tuxedo attire. I would wear a comfortable suit for the day and night, but don't worry You will wear what your fiancee wants you too.--John( but hey! just a hick )
    LOUISVILLE, KY. 2013 AND 2014 BASEBALL TEAMS to College World Series GO CARDS!!

One of the Regulars damienweaver's Avatar
    Thanks, everyone for all the swift and informative responses. I'm still mulling it over. I always envisioned myself in a tux on my wedding day... and so did my fiance, who is pushing strongly for the monkey suit! I may have no choice at all! Please keep the comments coming.

Oh, and a point of clarification: by "semi-formal" I'm referring to the classic definition which calls for the plain tuxedo. I realize now that this might be confusing since nowadays we (we Americans, at least) consider tuxes formal.
    Last edited by damienweaver; 03-01-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Strictly speaking, a tuxedo or 'black tie' IS semi-formal.

True 'Formal' would be white tie and tails.

I think I might opt for the classic white trousers and navy blazer look. I have some pics (somewhere . . .) of the wedding of a friend of my mother around 1938. It's a pretty snazzy looking daytime wedding. The bride has a very elegant wedding dress with a pretty long train, and the groom has the blue blazer white trouser thing going on. I believe he's wearing brown and white spectators, as well. Looks very sharp.
    Last edited by dhermann1; 03-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    "Hello. I'm Mr. Hardy, and this is my friend, Mr. Laurel."

Here we go:

The groom wound up the lieutenant governor of Connecticut. He's got white bucks on his feet.
    Last edited by dhermann1; 03-01-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    "Hello. I'm Mr. Hardy, and this is my friend, Mr. Laurel."