Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 30s jacket

New 30s jacket

Basically wanted a clean jacket.
    No handwarmer pockets, 2-panel arms, no halfbelt.

Trying to show the difference in color is a little stupid because the lightning from the windows was wierd right now. Its more red then the brown FQHH.

One of the Regulars
    you have got it just right! beautiful neat and simple!

D

Looks great! Do you miss the handwarmer pockets at all? I like them on mine as a design feature, but never actually use them.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Practically Family
    Looks beautiful. Would be great to see it on.

Sir J

I just got it a coupple of hours ago so Im gonna take pics later.

I actually use my handwarmer pockets in my Highwayman, but dont miss them in the CafeRacer. This is basically a summerjacket so I dont think I will miss them.

Looks pretty neat! I would like to see it on though. I never use those pockets - they add something to the balance, but maybe all they do is add weight/bulk. Dig the liner too. Nice look!

Crappy indoors pictures.

The jacket is still very stiff tho, so it drapes a little funny. I havent worn it alot because it turned out shorter then I asked.
    Standard backlength is 24" and my Highwayman is 25.5" so I asked them to make it between 25 and 25.5"
    The jacket is 24.5"

This made me feel that the jacket is way too short and that I might return it.
    However, looking at the pictures it doesnt look too short.

The straps are in the outmost position (not straping anything.)

The jacket is from the old oilpull and its very much lighter then the highwayman.
    It has the berry cotton tartan lining with black satin in the arms. This is because its supposed to be a summer jacket.
    Leather lined cuffs.
    One inside gunpocket.

The leather looks different from the sample i got. I thought it was gonna be suedy, but instead its
    shiny and actually a bit oily. Maybe this will go away with wear.
    The hide is very beautiful, it really has to be seen in person. Since they only had a bit left of the old oilpull I was a little afraid that it was gonna be bad quality, but the entire jacket is made of beautiful almost extraordinary smooth and nice and evenly thick leather.

Stitching looks ok from first glance.

I forgot. The idea with ditching the handwarmer pockets is mainly from my CafeRacer. I simply love the look of the clean jacket with nothing but the top pockets. Since the jackets are exactly the same length, I didnt see why it shouldnt work on a HB too.
    With wear, its gonna develop creases in that area and look beautiful.

And also I saw Andy Richards amazing HB that seemed to have only the top pockets, and it looked great IMHO. Looking closer it turned out he have handwarmer pockets, but they cant be seen so good because of creasing in the leather and also the angle.

I understand that some of you might think it looks too bare and thats alright. Im old enough to know what I like and to know people have different opinions.

However, how can the jacket look right in lenght but still be 1" shorter then the highwayman?
    Is it too short? Or whats going on..... :P

One of the Regulars leopardstyle's Avatar
    I think the length is fine. Cafe Racers shouldn't be too long. I like it without the belt. As for the hand Warmers I could go either way.

It's good to know the oil pull is lighter because I'm considering getting an A2 38 contract in oil pull. If you do decide to send it back let us know, and well give you more details about small things that could be different. If you keep it I think you've got yourself a nice jacket.

Sent from a phone, hope there's not too many typos.

The newer oilpull is heavier and darker.
    This jacket is from the old oilpull that is lighter in weight and color.
    I dont know if they even have enough left for anymore jackets of the old stuff.