Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O Brother, Where Art Thou?

One Too Many
    OBWAT as mentioned by several is an entire film of quotable quotes. It reminds me of Withnail & I in that respect. There isn't a single scene that's boring, where you think "I wish this would fast forward to [whatever]".

On my DVD version there's an extra, a look at the art direction and technical treatment of the film. Roger Deakin took what he described as Ireland-lush greenery and converted it to dustbowl sepia tone. The film was digitized, the digital images re-worked, then transferred back to film. The befores and afters are amazing!

That same "digital grading" technique was used in the Lord of the Rings films at about the same time. (See the documentary about it on the Extended Edition of FOTR.) Partly it was done to smooth out material that had been shot in differing locations under differing lighting over a three-year period and make it look coherent when intercut, but it was also to push the eyepopping greenery of the Shire, the golden woods of Lothlorien, etc.

But that doesn't mean I think anything less of Roger Deakins. In fact, I think he's a genius: he's my favorite contemporary cinematographer!

Something like...

"We needed to eat up that horse. It was startin' t'turn."

"And stay out of the Woolworth's!"

"That Preacher Man just done warshed away all of my sins!"

"Friend, your foldin' money's come unstole..."

"Are any of you boys smithies?"

:Hell, it ain't even old timey!"

"Dumber'n a sackful of hammers..."

And perhaps the best:

"DO.
    NOT.
    SEEEK.
    THE.
    TREASURE!"

It is one of my favorite films, hands down, and a GREAT soundtrack.

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

Them sireens done loved Pete up an' turned him into a TOAD!
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

And not just any kind of toad, neither.

Pete: Well, hell, it ain't square one. Ain't nobody gonna pick up three filthy, unshaved hitchhikers, and one of them a know-it-all that can't keep his trap shut.

Everett: Pete, the personal rancor reflected in that remark I don't intend to dignify with comment. But I would like to address your general attitude of hopeless negativism. Consider the lilies of the g***amn field or ... hell! Take a look at Delmar here as your paradigm of hope.

Delmar: Yeah, look at me.

"Okay...I'm with you fellas!" Love Delmar.

"One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down." And, of course, Ulysses Everett McGill.

[IMG][/IMG]
    "Gopher Everett?"
    ~ Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of. ~

"And stay out of the Woolworth's!"

I love this one because the store they actually filmed that in is here in my town, Yazoo City, Mississippi, where they actually filmed a good portion of it.

It is actually a former hardware store that has been transformed into a vintage goods, arts and crafts, etc. store now. But it is a great place to get lost in with all its treasures.

Everytime my hubby and I go in there, when we leave, I always look at him and say..."And stay out of the Woolworth's". It never gets old.
    "The whole world is about three drinks behind"