Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baking powder facial scrub

Baking powder facial scrub

I recently borrowed a beauty book from the library that recommended using baking powder as a facial scrub, mixed with a water based cleanser. I have tried it and have to say it really does work! The texture and size of the grains is just about right and it left my skin very soft and clean. It did feel a bit 'hot' and tingly for a second when I first rubbed it in though.

Combined with the oil cleansing method + hot flannel and using vaseline instead of expensive night cream I have been pretty impressed with the results. If I use my old cleanser now my skin feels very dry and flakey afterwards and the scrub is great at removing that. Also I can use up all the old out of date baking powder in my cupboard!

Anyone else used this?

I've done that and love how it feels. It's cheap, easy, and really does lead to nice soft skin. Best of all, it rinses off so cleanly!

I've used baking soda. I like it, very clean and smooth.

But I am mildly convinced that either baking soda, vinegar, almond oil, and cornstarch can replace almost any type of household cleaner or beauty product that exists.
    Progress: Going from being able to "hear a pin drop" to "can you hear me now?"

^ I wouldn't doubt it a bit, sheeplady!

It's certainly the best textured scrub I have used. Most of the synthetic ones are either like rubbing your face with gravel or barely there!

I just started using it regularly and I love it! I was at the makeup counter the other day and asked for facial scrub, the clerk let me try a sample of a real expensive scrub and the texture was just like that of baking soda. I will continue to use the "cheap" stuff.
    "Love has got to stop some place short of suicide." Sam Dodsworth (Walter Huston), Dodsworth

"A List" Customer Bluebird Marsha's Avatar
    I have used baking soda mixed in with Cetaphil facial cleanser; it did a very nice job and rinsed off completely. It's been awhile, but I used to use Phillips Milk of Magnesium as a mask. Maybe I should try that again. I thought my oily skin would clear up when I grew up. I was wrong
    To attract men, I wear a perfume called "New Car Interior."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird Marsha View Post
    I have used baking soda mixed in with Cetaphil facial cleanser; it did a very nice job and rinsed off completely. It's been awhile, but I used to use Phillips Milk of Magnesium as a mask. Maybe I should try that again. I thought my oily skin would clear up when I grew up. I was wrong
    Although I know everyone's skin is different, but what I found helped my face get less oily was washing it less. I had a bad bit of acne about a year and a half ago, and switched to a moisturizing goat's milk soap, washing my face at night with the soap. In the morning I would just rinse my face with warm water (no soap). Honestly, the amount of oil I got after switching was easily 1/3 of what I had before. It took about a month, and although my skin was still oily, it's now not an oil slick oily after 4 hours. Now I am no longer using soap (I use OCM most nights or rinse with water, I rinse with water in the mornings), and it's gotten even better.
    Progress: Going from being able to "hear a pin drop" to "can you hear me now?"

Practically Family
    I tried it last night, mixed with some facial wash foam, and it did leave my face really baby soft. I'll try this routine a couple of times a week and see how it goes for a month or so...you may be on to a winner, here .

(Oh, I used it on my hands as well...followed by slatherings of cream. I have super-dry hands.)
    More than somewhat.

I've used baking soda as a facial cleanser for years. I keep a tupperware thing of it in the shower, I also use it to brush my teeth about 50% of the time.
    A woman is beautiful when she's loved, and only then.