Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Victorian gentlemans clothing, where to find information?

One of the Regulars

Victorian gentlemans clothing, where to find information?

Advertisements
    I know the subject isn't strictly FL material. But since there are so many knowledgeable persons here, I thought that perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.
    I've become very much in love with the later part of the Victorian era, and would therefore like to assemble a proper set of clothes for that period.
    After looking around myself, I've come to the conclusion that it's quite difficult to find any outfitters who offer accurate Victorian clothes. Gentleman's Emporium is a fun shop, but the products do look quite inaccurate. They even use 100% polyester fabrics for some of their suits. Yikes!
    I'm therefore looking for two things:
    1. Direction as where to find good information about gentlemens clothing of that era, be it books, websites, blogs, or forums.
    2. Suggestions as to where I can find an reasonably accurate sack coat suit. It seems to me, that a good execution of this particular style, wouldn't make the completed ensemble look too out of place, compared to a set based around a frock coat or cutaway coat.

I've been looking at this book in particular: http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Illust.../dp/0486263533 but since the illustrations are so old, it would seem there is a chance that the images and information can be found freely available on the Internet?

I can help you with stuff like accessories, jewellery and stuff like that. Send me a private message about your questions or concerns surounding your first question ("information about men's clothing of the era?") and I'll help answer your question. I've done a lot of reading about stuff like that.

My Mail is Forwarded Here DanielJones's Avatar
    Here are a few sites that night help you out on that path.

River Junction Traders

Premier Designs Historic Clothing

Those are a couple of good sites to start with. I know of one Western Mercantile that has some really nice stuff I just can't recall the name of it off hand. They had a really neat tweed frock coat that I've wanted for some time.

Hope this helps you out to start with.

Cheers!

Dan
    "If you believe everything you read, better not read." - Japanese Proverb

My Mail is Forwarded Here DanielJones's Avatar
    Ah I found it!

The Western Poster Page, Mercantile. This page has the Italian Tweed Frock Coat.

Cheers!

Dan
    "If you believe everything you read, better not read." - Japanese Proverb

New In Town
    I also have a bit of an interest in the turn-of-the-century era. While looking for information on the fall of the frock coat, I came across this website: http://ushist.com/victorian_mens_clothing_f.shtml

In the site's menswear section, they offer made-to-order sack suits. I can't speak for period accuracy, though they are supposedly reproductions. It looks like a very fine product. I'm not really sure if they're cut with the high armholes and other details that the Fedora Lounge endorses, but then again, I don't think the early sack suits were as structured and well-tailored as the clothing of the Golden Era. These sacks are made of pure wool, and look like quite a step up from the stage props offered by Gentleman's Emporium.

I'd love to read a full review of the suit, if you were to choose this route.

What we need to know is what kind of enssemble you're trying to put together.

Casual? Everyday? Semiformal & smart? Full-formal? There's a huge difference between Victorian street-casual, a suit, and white tie and tails.

I'd also mention Old Town clothing for late 19th and early 20th century:
    http://www.old-town.co.uk/
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

One of the Regulars
    Thank you for all the replies

To be very specific, then I'm looking for British city clothing from the era. A suit that would be worn in the daytime for business and the like.
    I envision it something along the lines of a charcoal three piece sack suit, a proper shirt and either the early type tie worn with a four in hand, or the bow tie looking item, that was worn underneath the shirt collar. Cuff links, double Albert watch chain, and a hat when I have decided on a style that I think would look good on me.
    I'm a bit at a loss about the shirt, as I don not know exactly which style I should go for, nor where one such can be acquired.
    Footwear is of course also in question, but it's much further down the line. And for that particular item, Gentleman's Emporium seem to have a reasonable selection of accurate period footwear?

One of the Regulars
    Double post - The delete post function seems to be out of order.
    Last edited by nihil; 03-16-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Thank you for all the replies

To be very specific, then I'm looking for British city clothing from the era. A suit that would be worn in the daytime for business and the like.
    I envision it something along the lines of a charcoal three piece sack suit, a proper shirt and either the early type tie worn with a four in hand, or the bow tie looking item, that was worn underneath the shirt collar. Cuff links, double Albert watch chain, and a hat when I have decided on a style that I think would look good on me.
    I'm a bit at a loss about the shirt, as I don not know exactly which style I should go for, nor where one such can be acquired.
    Footwear is of course also in question, but it's much further down the line. And for that particular item, Gentleman's Emporium seem to have a reasonable selection of accurate period footwear?
    If you want something which is going to look period accurate and be of good quality you will need to cough up rather a lot of money I'm afraid. I know that these people make good reproductions: http://www.historyinthemaking.org/ca...1885-1910.html.
    This place seems to offer a good deal, but I've never been able to get in contact with them through their email: http://www.waltontaylor.com/welcome.html