Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Letterman Jackets

Hybrid View

Familiar Face

Letterman Jackets

Hi
    All you Americans out there !!!!

Just wondering who makes the best letterman jacket is Stewart and Strauss any good, what about Holloway or the ones sold at football fanatics . Looking for a tuff quality jacket ,you know sleeves with cow hide leather and strong wool body , help me out!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Wow I still have mine from highschool.

There's some cool vintage stuff on eBay... More a collector's thing, IMO. Not sure I (or many of us) could ever get away with wearing one, though.

There are PLENTY of letterman jackets out there. Same companies that make em for High School and colleges will make you a custom job in any color or fabric you like. First one I ever got was a kimchee affair made for me when I was stationed in Korea, embroidered and all. Fell apart eventually. Plenty out there though like the man said, ebay's a good place to start.

Worf

One of the Regulars normanpitkin's Avatar
    ebbets.com make beautiful baseball jackets of a similar nature

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Johns View Post
    There's some cool vintage stuff on eBay...
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf View Post
    like the man said, ebay's a good place to start.

Do you really want to wear a jacket with someone else' school, name, and achievements written all over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty150 View Post
    Do you really want to wear a jacket with someone else' school, name, and achievements written all over it?
    To be honest , that is similar to wearing original military clothing i.e. an original WWII A2 decorated leather jacket, or a uniform with any form of decorations or insignia.
    I once saw a guy get into a serious argument at a military display for wearing the uniform of a French Foreign Legionnaire from the Algerian war period(1950s?) with some rather angry old guys who were easily old enough to have been involved in the conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeer View Post
    To be honest , that is similar to wearing original military clothing i.e. an original WWII A2 decorated leather jacket, or a uniform with any form of decorations or insignia.
    I guess I just don't get it. I can't see wearing insignia that represents something that I had nothing to do with. I suppose there are people who earn their patches, and those who just want them without earning them. You might as well buy some trophies from a garage sale, and tell stories of how you were on a great bowling team, or won a karate tournament when you were 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty150 View Post
    I guess I just don't get it. I can't see wearing insignia that represents something that I had nothing to do with. I suppose there are people who earn their patches, and those who just want them without earning them. You might as well buy some trophies from a garage sale, and tell stories of how you were on a great bowling team, or won a karate tournament when you were 8.
    Wow! You guys have got a downer on patched jackets! How did you get from the example of a WWII patched repro A-2, to lying about being a bowling champ?

I wear many flight jackets patched with squadron or group patches from WWII. Why? Because its one way I can remember what The Greatest Generation did for me, and when people ask me, I tell them! (even explaining my 'Doolittle Raiders' patched A-2 right here in Japan!).

I'm not trying to fool anyone that I got something I 'didn't earn' (how old would i have to be to be a genuine WWII vet?), but I think it's a bit obtuse to throw allegations that people are wearing jackets that have got 'nothing to do with them' around. It's my way of reminding myself and others of the fantastic debt we all owe to men and women who had to 'step-up' on a scale we will likely never have to do ever again.
    Call me in, or call me out, I'll be waiting for the shout.

Skookum Label by Centralia Knitting Mills. Website ain't much, but it has contact info. Ask for the brochure. A wool varsity jacket will set you back $300 without modifications, but it's top of the line. They also make beautiful cardigans. And they've been in business since the 30's and still use the original equipment! I'm planning an order with them now. If you order and want a vintage cut, ask for one size down from suggested size. They do have a modern cut but if you size down, it should be perfect.

http://www.centraliaknittingmills.com/
    Last edited by Joel Shapiro; 05-21-2014 at 12:12 PM.