Advertisements
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Letterman Jackets

Familiar Face

Letterman Jackets

Advertisements
    Hi
    All you Americans out there !!!!

Just wondering who makes the best letterman jacket is Stewart and Strauss any good, what about Holloway or the ones sold at football fanatics . Looking for a tuff quality jacket ,you know sleeves with cow hide leather and strong wool body , help me out!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Wow I still have mine from highschool.

There's some cool vintage stuff on eBay... More a collector's thing, IMO. Not sure I (or many of us) could ever get away with wearing one, though.

There are PLENTY of letterman jackets out there. Same companies that make em for High School and colleges will make you a custom job in any color or fabric you like. First one I ever got was a kimchee affair made for me when I was stationed in Korea, embroidered and all. Fell apart eventually. Plenty out there though like the man said, ebay's a good place to start.

Worf

One of the Regulars normanpitkin's Avatar
    ebbets.com make beautiful baseball jackets of a similar nature

In the early 1980s, levis produced a similar jacket with a red letter 'L' outlined in white.
    Here in the UK not that many wearers understood the meaning of American letterman's jackets and the combination of the 'L' outlined in white was applied to a plate on a car as a driver under instruction, ie Learner. I pointed this out jokingly to a friend who wore one of these jackets and he never wore it again.

Back when I was in school, studying cave painting because writing had not been invented yet, every high school in town sent the kids to Golden Bear Sportswear.

I think in those days, before giant corporations dominated the retail landscape, consumers were more likely to turn to local suppliers for specialty items like that. We didn't have a nationwide supplier like Jostens selling us junk jewelry either. We had to shell out big bucks for rings from a local jeweler, who actually made them with real gold and gemstones.

Keep your eyes out for the Taylors Leatherwear Varsity Undercover #VJ1. It's usually available through police uniform vendors, and should be somewhat affordable.

Visit one of your local schools, and ask the athletic department who they order their jackets from. If the police threaten to label you as a pedophile for hanging out at high schools, then there's always the mall. These jackets really are not that hard to find, considering hundreds of thousands of schools across the country have to get them from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Johns View Post
    There's some cool vintage stuff on eBay...
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf View Post
    like the man said, ebay's a good place to start.

Do you really want to wear a jacket with someone else' school, name, and achievements written all over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Enski View Post
    Hi
    Looking for a tuff quality jacket ,you know sleeves with cow hide leather and strong wool body , help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What's your size? I'll sell you the old Team Glock Pistol Team jacket that I have in my garage. It's vintage........about 20 years old. Black wool, brown leather sleeves, brown leather shirt collar, snaps in the front, Glock patch over left breast, no other markings or embroidery.
    Last edited by Fifty150; 03-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty150 View Post
    Do you really want to wear a jacket with someone else' school, name, and achievements written all over it?
    To be honest , that is similar to wearing original military clothing i.e. an original WWII A2 decorated leather jacket, or a uniform with any form of decorations or insignia.
    I once saw a guy get into a serious argument at a military display for wearing the uniform of a French Foreign Legionnaire from the Algerian war period(1950s?) with some rather angry old guys who were easily old enough to have been involved in the conflict.