Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong Tailors

Hong Kong Tailors

I'm going to be in HK for a few days in late October. Any tailor recommendations? I'd like to have a nice suit made. Not sure there's enough time though.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster"
    W. W. Chan & Sons are the best in town. Pricey, though. HK isn't a cheap place for tailors any more, if you want any decent work. Walk down Nathan Road and you'll be harangued by endless Indian chaps offering you a HK$3500 (300/US$500) suit, but the fabric will be sh*te, and the tailoring sh*te. If you have the budget for a 1000 suit, go to Chan.

For shirts, I'm off to check out Jantzen after the Sevens debauchery is over. I'll let you know what they're like. I've heard bad things about them for suits, but for shirts, they're apparently the bee's knees. i have a great 20s shirt to get copied, so I hope they can do a good job. At about HK$400, they're great value. Let's see if they can take instruction.

Good luck.

bk
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

Thanks. That certainly seems like the place to go. I hope there is enough time for them to do the fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Kurtz View Post
    W. W. Chan & Sons are the best in town. Pricey, though. HK isn't a cheap place for tailors any more, if you want any decent work. Walk down Nathan Road and you'll be harangued by endless Indian chaps offering you a HK$3500 (300/US$500) suit, but the fabric will be sh*te, and the tailoring sh*te. If you have the budget for a 1000 suit, go to Chan.
    Ouch.... sounds like they're out of my budget now.... otoh, if they're approach Row quality, that's a relative steal....

Agreed on the others. As in Beijing, be especially suspicious of anyone who offers to make you a suit in twenty-four hours. Many tourists buy into the novelty of that, but the quality and cut is, needless to say, appalling and not worth however cheap it seems.

For shirts, I'm off to check out Jantzen after the Sevens debauchery is over. I'll let you know what they're like. I've heard bad things about them for suits, but for shirts, they're apparently the bee's knees. i have a great 20s shirt to get copied, so I hope they can do a good job. At about HK$400, they're great value. Let's see if they can take instruction.
    What's the exchange rate these days? Ah, about eight pee to the dollar..... Jinkies, yes, less than forty quid. Good price if they get it right. Be interested to hear about that. If they could do me a job lot of shirts that are essentially my CT shirts but with a spearpoint collar at that price I'd be happy....
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Kurtz View Post

Good luck.

bk
    Do let me know about the shirts. That is a great deal.

I got a few shirts from Jantzen before I finally gave up on them. Every shirt came with details different than what I requested and they were very difficult to deal with via email.

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster"
    That's the trouble of buying over the internet, rather than in person, and the reason internet tailoring can never be described as bespoke, or even made to measure, in my opinion. The reason, indeed, that I stopped buying tailored stuff on the internet.

You can't beat going in and talking to the person who's in charge of the operation.

bk
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

One of the Regulars
    Apart from WW Chan, Gordon Yao at the Royal Graden Hotel on Mody Road is equally as good and kind words have been expressed about Y William Yu also on Mody Road. Having tried all three I would suggest Yao.

THere also used to be somewhere on the Nathan Road of which folks spoke highly. If memory serves, (former?) forum member Mr Ray had a beautiful, Thirties-style linen suit made somewhere there....
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood