Thread: Name the year?

Name the year?

What year was this Lancaster photographed? Whereabouts? What year was she made?

This year sees a very special event for Bomber Command, here in the United Kingdom, 1939 - 1945

Casper

judging by the uniforms and the model Lancaster, I would take an educated guise that the photo was taken some time during March 2012! Lincolnshire. MK X. 1945!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearmen View Post
    judging by the uniforms and the model Lancaster, I would take an educated guise that the photo was taken some time during March 2012! Lincolnshire. MK X. 1945!
    Well done

They are getting ready for the unveiling of the Bomber Command statue in London in the summer, where this aircraft will be part of the celebrations!

Casper

One of the Regulars Swing Motorman's Avatar
    Haha... I love how you presented this, you had me entirely fooled!
    ♪ ♪♪♪ ♪♪♪ ♪
    T'aint what'cha do, it's the way that'cha do it;
    T'aint what'cha do, it's the time that'cha do it;
    T'aint what'cha do, it's the place that'cha do it;
    That's what gets results!

Just a jazzy streetcar operator lost in the past

To paraphrase that great American philosopher "Daffy Duck"....

"Big Bomb!"

Worf

PS I thought the Brits didn't "do" nose art. Or to put it in their lingo "just isn't done old man."

Worf,

I think they did use nose art but the USAAF was the main user of the genre. I suspect that the art was as much to reassure the crew as state any ''message'' to the enemy as such. Often movie stars and cartoon characters adorned these planes as well as the number of mission flown or in the case of fighters the number of 'kills' confirmed.

I thought I'd catch a few people out with this. As was stated this particular Lancaster was finished in April 1945 and never flew in anger over Germany. It was made at the tail end of WW2.

The statue for the Bomber Command aircrew (being unveiled in London this summer) is most probably 67 years too late in some respects, but at least we've got round to honouring these brave men at last!

Casper

I understand how you feel. 67 years too late and a dollar short. Still, better late than never. Knowing what we do now about what Hitler and others really had in mind back then, no amount of thanks is "too much".

Worf

For those that may be interested here is the website page for the memorial itself, built not far from Buckingham Palace London UK. The men from Bomber Command gave so much for our freedom.

http://www.theygaveeverything.co.uk/The-Memorial.aspx

Casper

Practically Family Phantomfixer's Avatar
    is the kit bag legit?
    Very good group photo! Is the big bomb a Wallis design?
    I think the book "Ready for Duty" has examples of Brit nose art....toned downed of course...
    John
    "It is better to be down here, wishing you were up there, than up here wishing you were down there."