Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new prohibition-era suit, inspired by Matt Deckard

Looks great. I love the belted back, but it is really subtle too, so will not look too costumy. Also, like the simple color. Makes it really subtle. The shoes work great with the tie too.

would have one comment on the vest though, and also the brown one in your first ask andy thread. Back in the day, vests were quite snug and actually held a guy in a bit. I assert this from dozens of vintage suits I have owned where it seemed the vest was too small, but after wearing them long term, I realized how comfortable and right it is to have a vest that is kind of snug, almost a girdle. It holds you in, makes you stand up straight, and looks great.

Now, the problems are, men are a little ponchier (I have become so in the last few years) and modern fabrics are too thin to not look all bulgy and pulled. If I were doing a suit, I would try to use some kind of facing inside that would thicken the front of the vest up to be more like a vintage vest. This is how it strikes my eye, as a guy who likes vintage suits almost exclusively. I realize modern standards may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Deckard View Post
    I'm always a sucker for the belt backs. When I did mine a few years back I was specifically going for the look of Henry Jones Junior's suit in Raiders of the Lost Ark

Check out my tumbler about the look. Ford's cut is a bit different and the jacket is a 2 button, but I loved the look and emulated it a bit for my Laureate suit.

http://mattdeckardapparel.tumblr.com...her-jacket-and
    Great suits in that scene except for Porkins. Is it me or does he just look out of place costuming wise? Looks like he just walked in from a job interview in 1980.

Is it just me or does it have double vents? Looks like it in one photo.

Pretend that you owe me nothing and all the world is green.

No vents You can see in the screen shot that the shadow doesn't line up with where the seam is going down on his sides. That, and if you watch the movie and see it in motion... it's just ventless.
    Looking for my Emma Peel.

Matt Deckard Apparel
    Deckard's Guide

END OF LINE

Ok, thanks. Haven't seen the film in a long time and I don't have it on DVD or VHS. Now there's a plan...

Pretend that you owe me nothing and all the world is green.

Magnoli Clothiers do a copy of that Raiders suit. It's their Marshall suit. I have one and it is pretty close Matt's screen grabs. I love the patch pockets - makes it quite informal.
    Last edited by AntonAAK; 03-29-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    I'm not dressed up. I'm just dressed.

I do love patch pockets.
    Looking for my Emma Peel.

Matt Deckard Apparel
    Deckard's Guide

END OF LINE

Great suit!!!
    Hey, Gimme my hat!