Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never thought I'd go for Netflix...

One of the Regulars Jedburgh OSS's Avatar

Never thought I'd go for Netflix...

...but after losing all video rental stores in the area I decided to give it a try. Now I'm working that free month trial like a borrowed mule and found some titles I didn't expect to line up in the queue. W. C. Fields and Me (with Rod Steiger in the title role), 1911, Atlas Shrugged, Triumph of the Spirit, Nickelodeon, Paper Moon, and several obscure documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh OSS View Post
    ...but after losing all video rental stores in the area I decided to give it a try. Now I'm working that free month trial like a borrowed mule and found some titles I didn't expect to line up in the queue. W. C. Fields and Me (with Rod Steiger in the title role), 1911, Atlas Shrugged, Triumph of the Spirit, Nickelodeon, Paper Moon, and several obscure documentaries.
    Been with Netflix for some time and really like it a lot. I would prefer the selection that one gets with a couple memberships to brick and mortar stores, but ease of use trumps a great deal of things.
    Let me dig this solid cat and see what jumps in that wig of his that's causing all the flip on the vine.

Been kicking around the idea of joining. Is it difficult to get out of the trial if one decides not to subscribe?
    ~ Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of. ~

My Mail is Forwarded Here Undertow's Avatar
    It shouldn't be difficult to get out. In fact, even if you have an active account, you can regularly put it on hold or cancel it anytime.

I was hesitant to join, too, but once I was able to start renting most of the Criterion Collection, as well as most Hitchcock/Kurosawa/Bergman movies, I fell in love. I just couldn't find those locally.
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~ C. Palahniuk

Practically Family
    I've been a member of LoveFilm - the UK equivalent of Netflix (although that has just been introduced here, but for video streaming only) for quite a few years now. I really hate to say it, but it beats the bricks-and-mortar shops hands down (especially Blockbuster). Convenience? 10/10. Choice? If you're into more obscure or older cinema, there's worlds better choice than in any shop I've been in. (I imagine it's fine for blockbusters, too; wouldn't know; I never watch them.) The holiday, or "time-off" is a bit restrictive, but it's there. Anytime I've had a problem with a dodgy disc, it gets replaced only if you want, and lickety split.
    More than somewhat.

Blockbuster came into our neighborhood and crushed the smaller shops. I reluctantly joined Blocbuster but was charged multiple overdue fees for movies that were returned on time. Being fed up with the incompetent staff I found Neflix in 2003 and never looked back. Netflix has been a great business to deal with. The delivery turnaround is quick and the couple of damaged disc issues were quickly resolved.

The local Blockbuster recently went out of business. If a brick and mortar shop opened on the avenue I'd join in a second. I like the experience of browsing and discussing the titles in person with my wife.
    Workwear is the new Black.
    I'm not a bearded logger but play one on the internets

Been with Netflix for about 3 years now...8 bucks for streaming video online per month is not a bad deal...plus they have some great film noirs as well as some obscure British 60-minute mysteries that are worth checking out.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Undertow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feraud View Post
    ...Netflix has been a great business to deal with. The delivery turnaround is quick and the couple of damaged disc issues were quickly resolved...The local Blockbuster recently went out of business.
    I think this is why Blockbuster "busted". Netflix has been a real treat to work with, and you almost feel guilty how easy they are to use.

I cancelled my membership to Blockbuster shortly after a similar "late-fee" fiasco, and the only other time I returned was two weeks ago when my local one closed. Bought a bunch of discs for $1.50.

The only gripes I have about Netflix was their rate hike and their removal of the social aspect. The hike caused me to go from 3/unlimited+online to 1/unlimited. They lost quite a bit of cash from me because I couldn't afford the hike. That and I used to enjoy reviewing each film I'd seen. Now I don't bother.
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~ C. Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    The only gripes I have about Netflix was their rate hike and their removal of the social aspect. The hike caused me to go from 3/unlimited+online to 1/unlimited. They lost quite a bit of cash from me because I couldn't afford the hike. That and I used to enjoy reviewing each film I'd seen. Now I don't bother.
    This is my exact experience too.
    Workwear is the new Black.
    I'm not a bearded logger but play one on the internets

We've had it for about a year - we have the streaming service only, never even mess with the DVDs. I *adore* it. Lots of great films, documentaries and TV shows.