Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elusive perfect khaki field shirt

You beat me to posting about that new shirt from WPG, Renault. It's everything Sam wants except for the blended material. The only other thing that concerned me were the epaulettes. It may just be whoever modeled it for the photo wearing too large a size, but they looked a bit short to me. Aside from that, it's a sharp looking shirt for the money. I might give one a try on my next order.

Another source for GI suntans is At The Front. I got two sets when they first got them in and have worn the heck out of them. The shirt actually fits better than the WPG versions I've bought in the past. They're out of most sizes at the moment, but restock is on the way according to the web site.

One of the Regulars
    I bought a khaki shirt from Sears for ten dollars. Light 100% cotton, khaki (British tan) with two pockets and epaulets and I wear it in the field when I go hiking. I typically layer it with a polypro undershirt or maybe alone. They're not warm, but for a day's tramping through the mountains, it's good.

For desert wear, I wear this shirt. I typically pair it with blue cargo trousers which isn't traditional, but they're more practical than standard gabs, because they have the pockets needed to hold the map and K rations.

Also, the local surplus shop has s/s versions for about 25 bucks. Genuine stuff.

Tom

Somewhere at home I have an all-cotton Dutch Army officer's dress shirt which I bought in a (now gone) n army surplus shop in Camden market about ten years ago. Was about a fiver, I think, and wore and washes really well. If memory serves correctly, the cuffs were even convertible, so (assuming you don't mind they'd be single thickness) they could even be worn with cufflinks.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Southern Illinois USA, right in "Bloody Williamson" county
    I don't know if you would be interested in this shirt, but it is super comfortable and wears like iron. Also available in short sleeves and a poly/cotton blend.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Incurably Addicted John in Covina's Avatar
    Not the most correct for you but I have been using Cabela's short sleeve safari shirts for years and like them for our blistering SG Valley Southern Califonia summers.
    Blue Skies!

John, have you hiked into "Devil's Canyon?" My Dad used to do this annually back in the early 60s. He and his friends said there was an easy way and a hard way, and most people took the easy way, from some trailhead or someplace. I guess they took the hard way, or so they said.

Incurably Addicted John in Covina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattieA65 View Post
    John, have you hiked into "Devil's Canyon?" My Dad used to do this annually back in the early 60s. He and his friends said there was an easy way and a hard way, and most people took the easy way, from some trailhead or someplace. I guess they took the hard way, or so they said.
    out this way i have hiked some of the trails by JPL and a few in the San Gabriel Mtns. Also out by the 395 past Adelento many years ago.

Not hiking much these days.
    Blue Skies!