Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt and Suspenders

Belt and Suspenders

I saw an interesting set of suspenders yesterday (sorry, no picture - I didn't know the gentleman and didn't want to interrupt him).

Instead of attaching directly to the pants, the suspenders had pieces on the ends that a belt went through.

I am not against the belt+suspenders approach, as it seems like a good solution for a gentleman of a more "portly" build (as this man was), who prefers to use suspenders to keep his pants up, but doesn't like showing the waist button of his pants when not wearing either a vest or a buttoned jacket. I am guessing that the belt would have a stiffening effect on the waistband of the pants, and prevent sagging on either side of the normal suspender buttons.
    But I have never seen this "belt through suspender ends" attachment before.

Has anyone else?
    Don

Feel younger than you look, and
    Act younger than you feel.

Southern Illinois USA, right in "Bloody Williamson" county
    It is also useful for those of us who carry a handgun, having a couple pounds of metal attached to your belt can be much more comfortable with suspenders to help keep everything from heading for the Mason Dixon Line!

They sell them at Wal Mart. I thought it was a fashion faux pas to wear such attire.

From a practical stand point vis a vis carrying a gun, I can see the utliltity. In fact many officers around here wear black nylon webbing suspenders to take some of the weight of their duty belts off their hips and lower back. they're not meant to be seen, though.
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9912/gtsig.jpg
    “Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

These were fairly wide, and black, if I remember correctly.
    Perhaps this gentleman started with them to keep his gun-laden belt up, and kept them into retirement to keep his (uhm) gut-laden pants up.
    Don

Feel younger than you look, and
    Act younger than you feel.

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    I never thought of that for carrying. Having a gun on your hip can really cause your pants to sag.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEraTom View Post
    I never thought of that for carrying. Having a gun on your hip can really cause your pants to sag.
    I hear that. If my shoulder holster isn't practical that day I wear mine either on my hip or tucked into the back of my pants and it's tough to constantly adjust.

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    Shoulder holsters are cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    I hear that. If my shoulder holster isn't practical that day I wear mine either on my hip or tucked into the back of my pants and it's tough to constantly adjust.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.

Also if he has a few extra pounds suspenders work better for keeping your pants up. I have heard that a belt is the number one cause of hurnia in older men (cinching up to tight) so suspenders are the way to go.
    Johnny

They apparently have a name - Perry suspenders. I remembered seeing them here:
    http://www.suspenderstore.com/besu.html
    I figured they were for the very portly, but hearing the input re: carrying service weapons, they make a lot more sense now.

I love the language differences, here in the UK suspenders are what women hold stockings up with !!
    V