Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Tailor Patterns

One of the Regulars

Vintage Tailor Patterns

I have found two vintage Finnish tailoring magazines from the collections of the Finnish National Library, Vaatturi ("Tailor", 1898-) and Kuusisen uutiset (1928-1962). Every number of both magazine contains anything from one to four different tailoring patterns for men, women and boys alike. There is really anything for everyone: suits (morning, stroller, overcoat, tailcoat, smoking, uniform), jackets (windbreaker, sport), boilersuits, trousers (straight, ski, breaches, riding, golf, working), vests, pajamas, skirts, blouses, kimonos etc. These are mainly European styles but few are modelled (or copied) to fit the American taste.

As said these are tailor patterns, i.e. they are drawn to size based on measurements. What I have done is to draw them in any vector program and get them printed in 1:1 at a print shop or print several smaller tiles which I then tape together. Please send me a personal message if you are interested any of the patterns. The drawing instructions are in Finnish but I can help translating them into English.

Example from Vaatturi 9/1943: Work trousers (without the instructions).

Thank you. I would like to see some more. A draft of a suit jacket would be nice. I have some german tailoring magazines and it would be cool to compare. Also if you have pictures of sporty suits with patch pockets and stuff please post them (additional to the drafts)

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Foot Floey View Post
    I have some german tailoring magazines and it would be cool to compare. Also if you have pictures of sporty suits with patch pockets and stuff please post them (additional to the drafts)
    Some of the patterns are mentioned to be copied from foreign tailoring magazines (Rundschau and American Gentleman Fashion are mentioned) but most of them are drawn my Finnish masters. Stroller from Vaatturi 1/1937.

Viennese ski jacket from Kuusisen Uutiset 8-9/1935.

Thank you. I also like this ski jacket. The lenght reminds me of a civilian Ike jacket.

That is actually what the famous black Panzer wrap was based on.

Oooh...100% less desirable now.

One of the Regulars
    Sport jacket from Vaatturi 10/1934.

The back and the pockets look very similar to the country suit Chrome posted here. Very interesting.

One of the Regulars
    Kuusisen Uutiset Summer 1950; "lighweight, loose jacket".

One of the Regulars
    A house coat from Vaatturi 12/1936.