Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aero's A2 apprentise made jacket, should i buy it?

So far an apprentice made military jacket hasn't come up on their sales page. All military jackets are made by Edith who is a super picky top notch machinist. I haven't had an Aero A2 or M422a that hasn't been perfect in terms of workmanship. Buy with confidence!
    Thanks,
    Jan

"Out into the cool of the evening strolls the pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams begin and end there."

Yeah it looks very nice, Im just saying - for me - it still have to be the exact color combo Im after or Id rather pay the full price. Your gonna have it until you die, so in that perspective a save of 85 isn't enough for me.

If you gonna get 2, or if you wont afford a new for a long time and like it - then just go for it and post pics

One of the Regulars
    Mark,
    Another thing to remember about ordering your own spec' from Aero is that you do not pay anything until the jacket is ready to ship! which gives you another 12-14 weeks to save up!

D

One of the Regulars
    Thanks all for some good pointers and info. Davy you've really made me think now 12/14 weeks would get me pretty near the price of a new one if i saved hard mmm.
    Just to mention, i am considering this particular A2 partly because i already have a Highwayman in heavy brown horse and told myself if i brought another jacket it would need to be something totally different in terms of style, colour and so on and that this A2 is for sure. However, i really do like a darker colour especially the oil pull with dark brown knits-beautiful!!
    Anyway not had a reply from Amanda yet so can't do much until then.

Thanks again chaps.

Mark

One of the Regulars Doc Average's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am hoping that the colour may not be so reddish in the flesh (the knits in particular). Does anyone own a Russet colour jacket with rust knits? I'd be interested in what you think, colour, knits, hide etc.
    I have an Aero 38-1711-P in russet jerky horse with rust knits. The reddish hue of both the hide and knits is exaggerated in photos of my jacket (there's probably no point in me posting pics of it for you for this reason!). I find it to be far more muted "in the flesh". Also, there's less contrast between the russet hide and the rust knits. This makes the jacket less garish for me than say a seal brown/rust combo, but I think it is still pretty eye-catching though. I chose russet 'n' rust since I wanted a leather jacket that would be distinctly different from my others. I think the final result looks pretty nifty.
    "That's the worst of beer. When it's finished, there's none left."

"I'm afraid I don't like your manner Mr Marlowe!"
    "Yeah, I've had complaints about it, but it keeps getting worse."

"There are few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make."

One of the Regulars
    Thanks for that Doc. Is there a difference then between russet and russet jerky or are they one of the same thing? I get a bit confused by all these variations.

One of the Regulars Doc Average's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thanks for that Doc. Is there a difference then between russet and russet jerky or are they one of the same thing? I get a bit confused by all these variations.
    No problem! Overall, the normal russet is smoother and would give a uniform appearance to the finished jacket. The jerky has more natural variation in the surface of the hide - i.e. wrinkly and grainy bits! I wanted my jacket to age naturally, so I opted for jerky since to me it lends a bit of character to a jacket from the start without it necessarily looking "distressed". If you ask Amanda nicely, she might be able to send you some leather samples.
    "That's the worst of beer. When it's finished, there's none left."

"I'm afraid I don't like your manner Mr Marlowe!"
    "Yeah, I've had complaints about it, but it keeps getting worse."

"There are few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make."

Here's what I think is a more accurate color of the rust knits..on my seal buffalo Aero A2.

Absolutely jealous of the buffalo! I've been wanting a buffalo jacket for years. There's nothing like it. Would love to see pics of the whole thing Van!
    Just don't wear PJ's under it

Quote Originally Posted by ButteMT61 View Post
    Absolutely jealous of the buffalo! I've been wanting a buffalo jacket for years. There's nothing like it. Would love to see pics of the whole thing Van!
    Just don't wear PJ's under it
    Can't find a pic of me wearing it...but it's probably my best fitting Aero A2. Sadly Aero doesn't offer the WaterBuffalo anymore..russet or seal. The russet buff looked more like aged goat for some reason. More pebbly than the seal. I suppose it was tanned differently...or maybe a different type of Buffalo(?).

A friend of mine had a beautiful 'Bootlegger' made from the seal buffalo.
    Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 04-10-2012 at 10:11 AM.