Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stetson Greasewood : what do you think ?

A Campdraft is made of Rabbit fur.

The Greasewood would be a sweat box hat. Why anyone would even wear it is beyond me. Many here where Fedora's with T shirts. Once you start looking thru the images in the messages you will see all kinds of dress.
    You might want to look at the Stetson Milan Stratoliner.

A great hat for the summer.

In the "old days", men wore their fur felts for everything from chopping wood and hunting, to church and theatre, but usually had a "beater" and a nice hat. If I am at the beach, I will usually wear a "Tilley" type hat to protect from the sun, so I don't care if it gets crushed in the sand or wet.
    For other casual outings, say fishing, hiking, etc, I think a fur felt is fine, even with jeans and t-shirt. On those occasions however I will wear a hat I don't mind getting wet or dirty. A Fed or Campdraft is great for that, or even a beat-up cowboy hat. I reserve my "good" hats (nice vintage hats) for work, church, eating out, etc.
    You can have my girl, but don't touch my hat!

Lyle Lovett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    The Stetson Greasewood. What a charming selection for a name. I can see those marketing geniuses at Hatco staying up late to come up with that one, hoping for their annual bonus. Not a cowboy hat, seems to me, though definitely an outdoor hat.

Any hat is what you want it to be. I've worn my Feds (brown and moonstone) with jeans, tshirt and a denim jacket. But like others have said if it appears too formal then a Campdraft might fit the bill. Personally I found that when I wear my hats I tend to dress a little better, like collared shirts instead of tshirts.
    The roads we take are more important than the goals we announce. Decisions determine destiny.

FEDS...
    about as good a name as the Greasewood.
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

I have 4 Akubra felt hats. Among them there a 3 different felt thickness', thick one (cowboy style), thin one (campdraft), and thin pliable one (sydney). All have same rough texture (or hand as they say). What I found is that with Akubra, certain colors make them more formal, for example grey and blacks ones are more formal than brown/beige ones. Lite brown or silverbelly, I think are even less formal.

So for what you are describing, you may want to consider an Akubra silverbelly campdraft. If you order, ask them for a shorter brim width, say 2.5".

My Mail is Forwarded Here Rick Blaine's Avatar
    The "Greasewood" is a horror- step away... likely make a nice saddle or tack. LOL

All the Akubra advice is sound. Pound for pound (or Euro to Euro, Dollah to dollah') there is no better hat made today. They are tough as nails! As tough as bricks & will take the kicks.
    Though given your locale, I'd also look at topsecrethats.com- for summer straws but I have also found their (Christy's) fur felts to be quite passable, having owned three "Adventurers". Where you are I am not sure leather would serve you well, in any season.

I prefer the thin ribbons (Campdraft- Stetson Open Road) because they DO seem less formal. They were , after all, known as "farmers' hats" in the hat trade.

But really- anything goes. It isn't about the hat as much as who is under it, eh?

Welcome aboard,

RB
    "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
    Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness,
    for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

-Jules Winnfield

New In Town
    Thanks for all your comments i do appreciate.

The choice is hard, last i went to bed with the comforting thought that I never wear trashy t-shirts in summer but rather nice, unicolor, v-shaped ones (http://is.gd/CuZ1SD) and that i could always wear shirts as well. The several replies about the Campdraft that i just read slightly made me doubt again though.

But then, I initially really wanted the Indiana Jones hat. I know it's stupid but it's a sort of 25 year old deep down wish that comes back to me.... don't ask me why (probably because I went to Disneyland Paris last week for my 33rd birthday ).

So I guess I'll go with the brown Federation IV and assume it. I mean it can't be bad to dress up more lightly right ?

This is gonna be my first hat, but probably not my last one. So next year i may actually choose the Campdraft.

Anyways, thanks again for all you replies. Greatly appreciated.

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    GuillaumeB-- I think that's a good decision! A much more versatile hat for about the same price (I think) that you were looking at to begin with. Others here are already aware of this-- but personally I almost never dress up, yet wear a lot of nice hats!
    FS: Bunch of hats on eBay
    "I've recently acquired a new hat of such ferocity that it has been running my whole life for me. I wake up in the morning thinking, 'Who shall I wear my hat at today?'"
    --Katherine Whitehorn