Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Suits Reproductions

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post
    some trousers in the 20s and 30s actually advertised the fact that the pocket bags were made of 'sail-cloth' fabric.
    I have some with those- only worn vintage suit I have that the pocket bags haven't worn through and required patching on.
    DinerHunter.com - Food
    VintageHaberdashers.com - Clothes
    LowModern.com - Architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    Do you know the weight and the colours?
    these are the first four of about forty.

Doesn't look so spectacular to me. J&J Minnis has some similar flannels in their current book, and at 16 oz. in a decent weight, too. Fox must have numerous spectacular designs from the Golden Era and before that are utterly unavailable today. I'd like to see some of those.

I guess Michael Alden makes quite a bit of money with the fabrics. I believe he's kind of the classic middle man. I appreciate that he goes through all the trouble of actually designing fabrics not available anywhere else. But at 100 per meter these fabrics are not an option for most Loungers. If we as Loungers would be able to get enough commissions we could do the same with Fox and have some beautiful fabrics made for about half the price I guess. I suppose the biggest obstacle would be to get enough commissions from Loungers.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Two Types's Avatar

The brown striped wool is about as classic British suiting as you can imagine. I adore it.

And i can just imagine the look of absolute disapproval on the face of Mrs Two Types if I was to appear wearing a three piece suit cut from that. I can just hear you shouting: "You look like a geography teacher!"
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Rudie View Post
    Fox must have numerous spectacular designs from the Golden Era and before that are utterly unavailable today. I'd like to see some of those.
    yes; exactly the archive that Mr. Alden is mining for this project.

Well, let's hope he's unearthing some fantastic stuff and not just normal pin stripes and the like. The brown fabric is somewhat unusual after today's standards, to be fair. Hardly anybody wears brown suits anymore. But back in the day this fabric would have been nothing special at all.

And he's having forty different fabrics recreated? That's some serious money he's taking in his hands there.

New In Town

I would love it if one of them were a plain navy wool. Possibly heavier suits with full canvas, lining and all those goodies would produce the suits of our forefathers. Not that i don't appreciate a super 180 (no need to rid of anyone.) I just think they serve different purposes. Any who, I hope Alden rolls this out to every J Press, Brooks brothers and Savile Row Tailor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hershy View Post
    I would love it if one of them were a plain navy wool.
    if all you want is plain navy you won't have any trouble at all. Fox already do it.

New In Town
    if all you want is plain navy you won't have any trouble at all. Fox already do it.
    Where can i find this magical awesome cloth. I reckon it wont be in a J Press or Brooks Brothers.
    Then Again Herringbonekid, Do you think that J Press or Brooks Brothers are still like they were Before 1980 or so. And Do you think Lighter cloths like(super 180s) have a place in sunny, warmer areas?

Where can i find this magical awesome cloth. I reckon it wont be in a J Press or Brooks Brothers.
    at Fox Flannel. by the metre.

Then Again Herringbonekid, Do you think that J Press or Brooks Brothers are still like they were Before 1980 or so.
    no.

And Do you think Lighter cloths like(super 180s) have a place in sunny, warmer areas?
    possibly, but personally i prefer linen and cotton for summer wear.