Advertisements
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Suits Reproductions

Cincinnati, where it happens last, if at all.

Advertisements
    I agree with this last post. I'm not so pessimistic that tailoring can't be duplicated-that's time and effort and attention to detail. But even if the tailoring can be done nearly as well, I have not seen any fabric that really, truly feels and looks like the fabric from 'back in the day'. Could it be made again? Who knows? No one will unless it's commercially feasable, meaning profitable. A few fans of vintage clothing won't make that happen, I would bet. Sorry to be a 'downer' but I share the frustration. I think we have to compromise on the things we have now made 'new for old'.
    Last edited by filfoster; 04-12-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Trying for 'Sigmund Freud' but ended with 'Willie Nelson', instead.

The fabric can still be found- even today there are some decent gabardines, and heavier serges, twill, and tweeds.
    It's also the materials within the suit- woven canvases, animal hair, etc etc vs modern synthetics.
    Plus, a lot of things today are fusible, glued, or tacked with nylon thread.
    I'm kinda babbling here, but in essence, most tailors today will prefer to use MODERN techniques and supplies to imitate the LOOK and DESIGN of a vintage suit. The great hurdle is getting one to go "old school" and spend a lot more time, NOT using modern shortcuts and conveniences.
    Most of the reproductions I've seen look nice, but to the trained eye, they still look modern. I know Jorge (La Bomba Vintage) has done some great stuff.
    IMHO, Magnoli Clothiers looks... eh. Even their photo examples, which should be your "Best of the best" look loose, frumpy, and unshaped.
    I've considered ordering some of the Wool Elastique fabric for Officer's "Pinks" but the aforementioned review makes me skeptical....

Michael Alden, the guy behind the London Lounge bespoke forum, is currently working* with Fox Flannel to produce some 1930s inspired (in design and weight) fabrics. he claims (and i believe him) that they could be the nearest thing to vintage fabric produced since the 30s/40s. trouble is they will cost about 100 a metre.

*apparently they have already been woven and are about to be released any time now.
    Last edited by herringbonekid; 04-12-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Incurably Addicted John in Covina's Avatar
    If you find the old fabrics then let Matt Deckard know please. He is searching for more vintage and vintage weight fabrics. The master fabric makers probably have the ability to make some older styled stuff heavier weave. I don't know if the looms can be set for that weight. Some of the old makers or small manufacturers might do it but the question of what is the minimum run and what will be the cost. As mentioned above 100 pounds per yard price point will shut out some buyers.

Actually, this is where possibly finding old school / old world / third world maker might allow for more vintage weight and style fabrics. Maybe somewhere in Turkey or India or the like is a small manufacturer using 150 year old machines that can do it for less.
    Blue Skies!

New In Town
    Very informative post, My chief problem is finding a good tailor in NYC. Most of them are too expensive and i mostly want good cloth. I guess it is getting hard. I am also a short (5'7 3/4) fat guy. So, Not a lot of Ebay finds would suit me..

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post
    Michael Alden, the guy behind the London Lounge bespoke forum, is currently working* with Fox Flannel to produce some 1930s inspired (in design and weight) fabrics. he claims (and i believe him) that they could be the nearest thing to vintage fabric produced since the 30s/40s. trouble is they will cost about 100 a metre.

*apparently they have already been woven and are about to be released any time now.
    Do you know the weight and the colours?
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    Do you know the weight and the colours?
    i think you might have to be signed in to view this thread, not sure:

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...10612&start=45

edit: yes you do.
    TT i'll save some photos later... i'm super busy with work right now and shouldn't even be on here !
    Last edited by herringbonekid; 04-13-2012 at 02:08 AM.

New In Town

Wink

Thank You all for even commenting on this thread, i hope it does not die. BTW, can anybody fill me on why they stop producing heavier cloths.

Quote Originally Posted by Hershy View Post
    BTW, can anybody fill me on why they stop producing heavier cloths.
    in short: so called design progress; if you're being generous (really just change for the sake of it), which in retrospect isn't progress at all.
    Last edited by herringbonekid; 04-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hershy View Post
    Thank You all for even commenting on this thread, i hope it does not die. BTW, can anybody fill me on why they stop producing heavier cloths.
    A cynical view of why, but probably not too far from the truth:
    Cars..... central heating..... and they twigged to the fact that if they made them lighter, then they'd wear out faster. Planned obsolescence . And also because they could sell the lighter weight cloth as somehow 'superior'.....
    Then let us think..... then let us smile..... then let us go.