Thread: Better Than Beauty: A Guide To Charm

Better Than Beauty: A Guide To Charm

I found this as a kindle download (I know, but I travel for work). Published in 1938 and written by Helen Valentine and Alice Thompson, it's a great addition.

They covered skin, makeup, hair, weight, dieting, exercise, clothing, first impressions, manners, liquor, realism and charm. And? More than I listed here.

If you don't have a kindle, you can download the app to your computer to read it. It's a fab find!

Thanks, I just downloaded the sample.

Oooh! Thanks for this! I just d/l'ed it for my Kindle! I love this kind of stuff. Another book I suggest is this one:

...from Bramcost. It was first published in 1948 and it goes over "correct" hair and makeup, but also covers fitness, the best dress cut for your shape, and basic etiquette. The book's basic message is "all women are ugly, here's how you can be less ugly." It's very interesting, though. I read it in two nights.
    Last edited by Amy Jeanne; 04-12-2012 at 03:03 PM.

One of the Regulars katiesparkles's Avatar
    ^ That really made me laugh! I need to look into these two when I come home!

Direct quote from the first page of the Bramcost book: "although few women are beautiful, or even pretty, through skillful makeup and hairstyling, any woman can be endowed with good looks." And you are reminded of how "not pretty" you are throughout the whole book. I'm not gonna lie -- I got a chuckle from it! But I do recommend it for it's historic value.
    Last edited by Amy Jeanne; 04-12-2012 at 03:35 PM.

You're welcome! I have more that were free downloads for the late 1800's, early 1900's I'll pull the titles for. But I love reading as well for the historical perspective. They are fun!

I've not found the Bramcost one yet, but am looking! Thank you!

I've had a paper copy of this book for ages - I was given it as a birthday gift years ago!

It really does have good advice, as sound now as it was in 1938.
    There is no time, Madam, at which hats do not matter.

I began reading the "Better That Beauty" book and, yes, it is adorable! I love how the author says to ignore all that crazy advice on how you "should" do your hair and makeup. Because if you do not like the hairdo and/or makeup you are wearing -- you will know this and not be charming!

The Bramcost book is just like the eye-roll-worthy advice from today, 1948 style!

Oh, I'm definitely buying Perc Westmore's book!
    Look your best - who said love is blind?
    Mae West