Advertisements
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone for a brand new crated Spitfire?

Advertisements
    Never said "water tight" just they were wrapped and preserved for the trip overseas. In THAT condition, they are better protected than just burying the ship sans protection.

Having shipped MANY aircraft and being on the other side removing them from shipment, they can hold up pretty good. Now that isnt burying them for 60+ years agreed but that is what is going to make it a better raise and restore than taking one off the ocean floor. The dirt will act as an insulator controlling damages of time. I am sure the crates are all but gone, and the tar paper is going, so getting them up and checking them now.

I was part of an experiment for the Army in the 80s where we took a UH-1 and AH-1 and buried them. A year later we dug them and and returned them to service. Our group used the sandy loamy soil of North Carolina, another group did the desert. After cleaning and reservicing the major systems we were surprised to note that for the most part the ships were in pretty good condition. That was only one year, and with little preservation, but soil conditions were pretty similar to where the Spits are buried. I would still love to see their conditions. I suspect they are rough but rebuildable.
    "Honor's a good brooch to wear in a man's hat at all times."
    Ben Jonson

My Mail is Forwarded Here Stearmen's Avatar
    I just notice they said they buried them to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. That does not sound good for a propper preservation job. Will be interesting to see, but I can't help thinking of the Greenland P-38s, just need to dig them out, lower the gear, put fuel and oil in, and away we go!

I was reading about this elsewhere, amazing story! I'll keep my fingers crossed hoping for the best.

Practically Family Phantomfixer's Avatar
    Sounds like the homework has been done. "pretty good shape " is very relative term in this case. I would think he is looking for financial backing and would not say the Spits are "rusting away" to future investors....
    But the possiblities....be nice if a sealed crate of flight jackets were in each crate. All size 44..
    JZ
    "It is better to be down here, wishing you were up there, than up here wishing you were down there."

One Too Many
    I'll take the lot, condition no barrier!

Practically Family Treetopflyer's Avatar
    It's going to be interesting to see how they look. Anyone know when they are to be unearthed?

Incurably Addicted V.C. Brunswick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetopflyer View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how they look. Anyone know when they are to be unearthed?
    Hopefully not like this Iraqi MiG 25 that was found buried in the sand by US troops a few years ago.

"I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

Practically Family Phantomfixer's Avatar
    ah yes the one and only WMD but still I would love to dig up an airplane next time I go to the beach....
    "It is better to be down here, wishing you were up there, than up here wishing you were down there."

My Mail is Forwarded Here Stearmen's Avatar
    I would definitely be thrilled if the Spitfires were in that condition! Not holding my breath.