Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Anyone for a brand new crated Spitfire?

I was chatting the other day with a guy who specializes in Burma/Myanmar and travels there frequently. His view is that no Spitfires will come out of this and this is all a rather elaborate cover for illegal activities/deals. Make of that what you will.
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

Practically Family Treetopflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
    I was chatting the other day with a guy who specializes in Burma/Myanmar and travels there frequently. His view is that no Spitfires will come out of this and this is all a rather elaborate cover for illegal activities/deals. Make of that what you will.
    Funny you should post that, I was talking to a friend of mine in the UK that specializes in vintage aircraft and he was saying something very similar.

Spitfire shmitfire, but if anybody's mucking about in a lake in northern Italy and finds a Do X, I want to be the first to know.
    Simplicity never goes out of style, and never comes into fashion.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Stearmen's Avatar

No Spitfires

Hope springs eternal in the spitfire/jeep *please god please!* world...
    Fasten your seat belts... It's going to be a bumpy night! -- Margo Channing

Earlier this month, the search team found a wooden crate believed to contain one of the planes in the northern Kachin state, but it turned out to be full of muddy water.
    Who buries a crate of water at the end of a runway? There must have been something at one time. Pity it wasn't an airplane though.

Matt

My usualy reliable source says it was a crate of 200 RAF greatcoats!

My Mail is Forwarded Here Stearmen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MPicciotto View Post
    Who buries a crate of water at the end of a runway? There must have been something at one time. Pity it wasn't an airplane though.

Matt
    I was asking my self the same question! Then I though, this structure is 30 feet down and flooded, but did not collapse. I think this is not a crate, but rather an air raid shelter. The entrance was probably covered up and forgotten with time. I would like to see some core samples. I know they claimed Canadian lumber, but I don't trust much that they have to say on the subject.

Practically Family Treetopflyer's Avatar
    So is the end of the story? They found something that may or may not be a crate full of water so they are calling it quits. I have been looking all over the net for some new info and I haven't found anything.