Advertisements
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about Kudu hide?

Advertisements
    I asked. Aero says they won't be offering any more Kudu jackets in other sizes since they used all they had for those two jackets.

It's a real shame and I certainly hope they get more of that hide in the future, although I imagine it would be difficult to get a regular stock -- it's not like kudus are as abundant as cows and horses.

One of the Regulars
    Good to know! I believe they have an annual Kudu cull so maybe they will try to get a stock of this hide, judging by how quickly they sold the samples I think there would be good sales on these, although it may be intermittent with hide supplies coinciding with the cull!

D

One Too Many
    Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
    Can't find these on the Aero site. Can somebody post a link?

One of the Regulars
    I saw a sample of Kudu today at Iron Heart headquarters in Gosport (Aero dealer), and I was disappointed to be honest. It's a nice leather to touch, quite soft and pliable but still quite tough, but it looked average. It was certainly an interesting piece of leather, and knowing it was kudu it would have a certain cool factor in a jacket, but it was so variable with full spectrum of brown to white and to the uninitiated it would look like a cheap jacket from the 80's I suspect. It kind of reminded me of stonewashed denim. It didn't look a lot like the jackets on the Aero website, so maybe the hides are pretty variable.
    Sad but true. At least it will save me some money should Aero ever add it to their line-up.

Familiar Face
    fyi

With the continued popularity of our Alden Ultimate Indy Boots, we present to you our latest version, the Kudu Ultimate Indy. Horween’s kudu leather is essentially heavily oiled and hand treated calfskin, done in the same procedure as shell cordovan. Thicker and more dense than the norm, kudu is definitely a rugged and everlasting leather, perfect for our Ultimate Indy Boots.

Although you may think these are very similar to our standard Ultimate Indys, a closer look will reveal the oiled leather and a different shade of brown. Our Ultimate Indy Boots are made with Horween Brown Cromexcel leather, which has a slight mahogany tone versus these, which are a true dark brown.

maybe there are 2 kudus? who knows? The jacket on the aero site says antelope. Its a pretty roughed up looking leather with a varied uneven grain.
    Last edited by Sillyrib; 04-16-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Last night, we were watching "Midnight In Paris" and there's a line that made me laugh. The Kathy Bates character says to "Gil" in regards to Hemingway:

"Adriana has left Pablo, and has flown to Africa with Hemingway.

I knew that I had an obsession with that bully!

We talked about all this!I'm sure that she'll come back very devoted.

Muy devoto. Oh, he took her hunting kudu, but she'll be back to him."
    Last edited by ButteMT61; 04-18-2012 at 10:36 AM.

One of the Regulars
    I see Alexander Leathers in Scotland have Kudu as well....looks damm nice to me
    http://www.alexanderleathers.com/vin...cs/dakota.html

One of the Regulars
    It's probably escaped no-one's notice that Aero have currently got a Highwayman ( 40") in kudu on the sale page.

New In Town
    I have the Alexander Dakota in Kudu and it's pretty awesome.