Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oops what have i done to my Highwayman!

Yes...it would be a bummer to have such an obvious spot of color loss standing out in one place. My advice would be to now 'leave it alone' and take a picture of the spot and send it to Amanda. She can recommend a fix better than anyone. At least you'd know exactly what could be done...and that would relieve worrying about if it can be repaired.
    HD

I bought a tan leather jacket for a low price because the owner was disgusted with an dark stain on the front . Because I do oil & acrylic
    landscape painting I was able to massage & blend the color to match the rest of the jacket. I used acrylic & when dry I used a shoe brush
    & was able to bring back the sheen to the jacket. If you're not sure, leave it alone like the rest of the guys said. Good Luck to you!

One of the Regulars
    Thanks for that, i was actually thinking of going over it again with a touch more shoe polish! However, i'll take all the advice given and leave well alone, apart from buffing it a bit.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeMan View Post
    Just buff the area with a soft cloth for a while till the sheen comes back
    Or, you can do nothing and wear the hell out of it.
    The sheen will come back by itself in time.
    No more chemicals.
    Just remember, Aero's Horse Hide is meant to be abused in all weather.
    The worse it looks, the better it looks in my opinion.
    Lenny

One of the Regulars
    How old is the jacket? The reason I ask is that these jackets break in amazingly and eventually will have all kinds of character. You will wind up replacing panels all the time if every time the jacket is marred you are unhappy. Plus, by replacing the panel, you could risk a mismatch in color that may bother you even more.

I had a beautiful 1987 Monte Carlo SS in perfect showroom condition. I would park it at the end of a parking lot at the supermarket. I would cringe every time I drove through an area where they were paving because tar spots and gravel dings. I would buff out any light scratches the second I noticed them. After a while, I stopped driving it. I bought a salvage vehicle - a 1996 Jeep Wrangler and the Monte Carlo sat in the driveway because I was afraid it would get damaged. It looked great but it was no longer fun.

The jacket will be the same way for you. If you worry about it each time you get a scratch or mark on it, it will become a source of stress and will be safest hanging in the closet. Exactly the opposite of what this leather should be doing. Celebrate the uniqueness of the jacket because it will only continue to become ....more unique.

One of the Regulars
    Thanks for that Rick, to be honest its more than just a scratch or scuff but i'm dealing with it by taking on board all your suggestions and leaving alone apart from bit of buffing. I can relate 100% to your car analagy. I have a 7 year old son who's nails are not cut as often as they should be. If i'v got my jacket on i find myself backing away from when he approaches me!!Terrible i know. You are right stops you from enjoying your pride and joy.
    Cheers
    Mark[
    QUOTE=rick5150;1437607]How old is the jacket? The reason I ask is that these jackets break in amazingly and eventually will have all kinds of character. You will wind up replacing panels all the time if every time the jacket is marred you are unhappy. Plus, by replacing the panel, you could risk a mismatch in color that may bother you even more.

I had a beautiful 1987 Monte Carlo SS in perfect showroom condition. I would park it at the end of a parking lot at the supermarket. I would cringe every time I drove through an area where they were paving because tar spots and gravel dings. I would buff out any light scratches the second I noticed them. After a while, I stopped driving it. I bought a salvage vehicle - a 1996 Jeep Wrangler and the Monte Carlo sat in the driveway because I was afraid it would get damaged. It looked great but it was no longer fun.

The jacket will be the same way for you. If you worry about it each time you get a scratch or mark on it, it will become a source of stress and will be safest hanging in the closet. Exactly the opposite of what this leather should be doing. Celebrate the uniqueness of the jacket because it will only continue to become ....more unique.[/QUOTE]