Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advise needed on buying an AERO flying jacket

I took a good look at the Eastman pattern 1942 Irvin (thanks again Aswatland). I must say I was rather taken by it. Optically it seems to capture the look of the original very well.

Historical accuracy? I don't know. I found quite a large thread on Irvin jackets and I got lost a bit. Any thoughts on this? Are they heavy by the way?

Banned
    Jon's jacket look terrific

Quote Originally Posted by summermusics View Post
    Jon's jacket look terrific
    Yes quite. I think I can see what you mean. Pfffff............ choosing isn't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rayban View Post
    I took a good look at the Eastman pattern 1942 Irvin (thanks again Aswatland). I must say I was rather taken by it. Optically it seems to capture the look of the original very well.

Historical accuracy? I don't know. I found quite a large thread on Irvin jackets and I got lost a bit. Any thoughts on this? Are they heavy by the way?
    Weight-wise, my Eastman 42 pattern Irvin is very light indeed - by far the lightest of all my Winter-weight jackets. While bulkier and thus a bit clumsier, it's not really noticeably different weight wise than my goat A2. My Lost Worlds B3 is significantly heavier, partly down to all the horsehide panels and extra buckles, partly, I'm sure, down to the manufacturer's preference for heavy jackets. Not a problem to wear, but you do notice the difference.

Regarding accuracy.... I have been told the Aero B3s aren't bad, though ELC are better. I wouldn't buy an Aero Irvin myself - nothing wrong with the quality, but the sleeves seem "wrong" to my eye. Good condition ELC Irvins can be had on eBay for GBP300-350 if you are patient.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Weight-wise, my Eastman 42 pattern Irvin is very light indeed - by far the lightest of all my Winter-weight jackets. While bulkier and thus a bit clumsier, it's not really noticeably different weight wise than my goat A2. My Lost Worlds B3 is significantly heavier, partly down to all the horsehide panels and extra buckles, partly, I'm sure, down to the manufacturer's preference for heavy jackets. Not a problem to wear, but you do notice the difference.

Regarding accuracy.... I have been told the Aero B3s aren't bad, though ELC are better. I wouldn't buy an Aero Irvin myself - nothing wrong with the quality, but the sleeves seem "wrong" to my eye. Good condition ELC Irvins can be had on eBay for GBP300-350 if you are patient.
    Thanks!

Maybe I should ask this question in antoher thread: Is there a (noticable) difference in weight between a genuine wartime Irvin and say the Eastman replica? I have no experience whatsoever with Irvins.

The only sheepskin clothing I own are a few Russian army Bekeshas weighing about 4 kg's and a Swedish army canvas coat with sheepskin lining which weighs what feels like a ton! But then these coats (being originals) are in a different league altogether.

[IMG][/IMG]Hello Rayban
    I can admit that my Aviation leather coat ALC from the one company that still bears the name IRVIN weight a little over 3 kilo.
    There is not much referring to the Irvin here, partly becourse they are not exactly true to the original ww2 irvin Jackets....but they are brilliantly made to last a lifetime or two.
    I have one, and are very pleased with it...the two front handwarmers/ front pockets too, but looking at Jon` s exeptional well build Irvin`s, I clearly se the differences between my jacket, and his.
    I will probably end up ordering the one of his pre war model , or be bold to ask Andrew reserve one of his fantastic finds for me, if I can persuade him :O)

good luck with your choice of Irvin
    Last edited by alsendk; 06-30-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in a light so dim he would not have chosen a suit by it. Maurice Chevalier