Thread: Size on British military gaiters

Size on British military gaiters

I am still working on putting together my early 20th century deer stalking outfit. Half gaiters were quite popular from the photos I've looked at. So I am thinking of getting a surplus set of British or Highland gaiters. However, I am flumoxed by the sizes I see on ebay and surplus sites. Are the sizes the same as British shoe sizes or different? I see numbers ranging from 2 to 9 or so.

Thank you in advance.

I am looking for a light pair of half gaiters like these:

"His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

[QUOTE=Chasseur;1438685]I am still working on putting together my early 20th century deer stalking outfit. Half gaiters were quite popular from the photos I've looked at. So I am thinking of getting a surplus set of British or Highland gaiters. However, I am flumoxed by the sizes I see on ebay and surplus sites. Are the sizes the same as British shoe sizes or different? I see numbers ranging from 2 to 9 or so.

Thank you in advance.

It appears to me that the taller side laced GI gaiters from WWII have size numbers which don't seem to be the same as shoe sizes. Those I have are marked 5 and appear to be for shoe sizes 9 or 10. Somehow, the calf size figures into the numer. Sorry I'm no help. Where in heck is BellyTank when you need him?
    "Use Enough Gun" --Robert Ruark