Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sears Hats 1938 Fall

Sears Hats 1938 Fall

Note correct historical use of "Fedora"
    Last edited by rlk; 04-24-2012 at 01:40 PM.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Undertow's Avatar
    RLK, I can't see the scan very well, but at the bottom right of the second page, is that a sewn hat; i.e. made of cloth, like what we can find today at Wal-Mart? Or is that truly fur felt? It seems like $0.69 for a fur felt hat, even in '38, would be considerably cheap. Compared to the other hats, this is the cheapest of the "fedora" styles. Any info on this?

Also, I find it quite interesting that the hats we Loungers call "fedoras" are labeled as "Snap Brims", while a Fedora is shown as a hat with a rolled edge and stiff brim similar (if not identical) to a Homburg. Great scans!
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~ C. Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Also, I find it quite interesting that the hats we Loungers call "fedoras" are labeled as "Snap Brims", while a Fedora is shown as a hat with a rolled edge and stiff brim similar (if not identical) to a Homburg. Great scans!
    Same here, I found that very surprising. It would also be nice to know when the terminology changed for fedora to mean the snap brim styles next to it.
    "I don't slap so good around this time of the evening."

RLK (Robert) did some great research on the exact topic.

Quote Originally Posted by mayserwegener View Post
    RLK (Robert) did some great research on the exact topic.
    Can you locate the thread? I'd be very interested to read more about it, and it's difficult to find the threads related to such info.
    In the Classifieds: 2 Belstaff boots Size EUR 40 and 41

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.

Cheers! Nik

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    RLK, I can't see the scan very well, but at the bottom right of the second page, is that a sewn hat; i.e. made of cloth, like what we can find today at Wal-Mart? Or is that truly fur felt? It seems like $0.69 for a fur felt hat, even in '38, would be considerably cheap. Compared to the other hats, this is the cheapest of the "fedora" styles. Any info on this?

Not fur, but I suspect somewhat better than Wal-Marts current offerings:

Last edited by rlk; 04-23-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Can you locate the thread? I'd be very interested to read more about it, and it's difficult to find the threads related to such info.
    Go here: Fedoras19thCentury

Here: Fedorasfirstdecade20thCentury

B
    GO, PACK, GO !!!!!

My Mail is Forwarded Here Joshbru3's Avatar
    I have to say, this ad is REALLY interesting. It dates from 1938, but I was really surprised to see the dimensions of the hats. On the top row, all the snap brim hats had a 5 5/8 inch crown (fifth ave crown, whatever that means). The "Wide" brim only measured at 2 1/2, the "short" brim measured at 2 1/8 and "America's standard" was the 2 1/4 inch brim. These dimensions seem to nod to the earlier part of the 30's and late 20's. The homburg has a 5 3/4 full crown and a 2 1/2 inch brim. I always thought that by 38/39, the hat styles had already started to look like the hats from the 40's. I thought that by 38/39 the brim were already anywhere from 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 and the crowns were about 5 1/2 inches tall.
    "For all we know this may only be a dream. We come and go like a ripple on a stream. So love me tonight; tomorrow was made for some. Tomorrow may never come, for all we know." (Nat King Cole)

Quote Originally Posted by Joshbru3 View Post
    I have to say, this ad is REALLY interesting. It dates from 1938, but I was really surprised to see the dimensions of the hats. On the top row, all the snap brim hats had a 5 5/8 inch crown (fifth ave crown, whatever that means). The "Wide" brim only measured at 2 1/2, the "short" brim measured at 2 1/8 and "America's standard" was the 2 1/4 inch brim. These dimensions seem to nod to the earlier part of the 30's and late 20's. The homburg has a 5 3/4 full crown and a 2 1/2 inch brim. I always thought that by 38/39, the hat styles had already started to look like the hats from the 40's. I thought that by 38/39 the brim were already anywhere from 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 and the crowns were about 5 1/2 inches tall.
    I wouldn't expect Sears to be cutting edge but rather a more average view of what was being worn. However, I find the dimensions consistent with those in The American Hatter of '38, which in fact featured Alpine Styles. Remember those late 30's Air-Light Whippets and Playboys had narrower brims than the 40's models.

Quote Originally Posted by buler View Post
    Thanks, man! Great info!
    In the Classifieds: 2 Belstaff boots Size EUR 40 and 41

We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.

Cheers! Nik