Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollowpond's Californian/Surrogates Style Half-Belt

Hollowpond's Californian/Surrogates Style Half-Belt

Ok, so I have been on the hunt for a Californian/Surrogates style Half-Belt for ages it seems. Most of the repros I see around are in the $1000 range though. Not knocking those jackets at all, but I'm a teacher for Pete's sake!!! I'm on a budget!!! I was really looking for a nice repro in a sturdy cowhide for around 3-500 bucks. Horse would be nice, but that would immediately put it out of my price range. What to do right?

Well, phase two of my plan was to get detailed pattern notes from owners of these types of jackets and pitch the idea of a mid-price range quality vintage repro to some jacket producers who have not tackled a project like this jacket. I believed there would be quite a market for a product like this. Well, while I and a few cohorts plotted and schemed, someone else was doing just that...and they did it first...AND they did it better than I could have ever dreamed of!!!!

Rick and Mike over at filmjackets.com came out with a dead-on half-belt in a very vintage looking cowhide for $300 shipped!!!! And not only that, but the body length and sleeve length is customizable at no extra charge!!! Enough jibbering. Here's some pics

Here's some closeups of some of the details on the filmjackets.com website
    http://www.filmjackets.com/ecommerce...products_id=31
    It is the perfect blend of ruggedness and style to me. The stitching and craftsmanship is on par with jackets I've had that cost twice this amount. The hide was a little dry on the onset, but an application of Pecard's leather dressing and it was good to go!!! Rick and company have got a good thing going over there and they have delivered to me what is quickly becoming my favorite leather in my stable...
    "Res ipsa loquitur tabula in naufragio."

Very nice. How thick is the hide?

It is a heavy cowhide. I would trust it as a riding jacket...
    "Res ipsa loquitur tabula in naufragio."

One of the Regulars
    Nice looking jacket, it fits perfectly too. Sounds like a great deal at that price, well done!

Very nice indeed. I wonder if they do a non-pre-distressed version? The distressing does look pretty subtle though.

Really like the cut of this jacket. Do you have a pic with it zipped up?

So what makes an Aero Highwayman $700 better than this? Anyone got any input?

Well for me, nothing does. Not knocking those that do, it is a matter of taste, but Rick and Mike are filling a niche in this market that has been overdue for a long time. I'm as satisfied a customer as I've ever been.

Zipped pics soon...

Practically Family
    Nice looking jacket and the sleeves look pretty slim as well. Great fit. A fellow charcoal guy as well, I see.

One of the Regulars
    Nice jacket for the money. I think the "distressing" looks fake though and the back does not hang like an Aero. To me, the jacket is a little "off" from your mid-back down. The straps also look a little off to my eye. Could it be the way you are standing with your arms out slightly in the last pic? Perhaps. You certainly have a wonderful jacket, but judging from those picks, it is no Aero. The cowhide almost looks spray-painted. Also, IMO, horsehide will break in better and age better, eventually getting a "patina" and graining. Aero's FQHH horsehide is fantastic. Hard to beat and HH of equal quality hard to find elsewhere. Aero knows how to pick their hides and how to use them to advantage, as well. Their jackets hang like a million bucks.

None of this is meant to take away from the satisfaction of your purchase, or from Film Jackets. I've been to the website before and I still may buy a jacket from that fine company. You got a great deal for the money. Enjoy!