Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying Legends this year?

Flying Legends this year?

Anybody planning to go to Flying Legends at Duxford saturday June 30 or sunday July 1?
    I'll be there saturday
    "There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!'

New In Town
    i always try to go to that show its the best one i have been to

Familiar Face
    A "Flying Legends" story. Well sort of.

Opposite Duxford across the M11 is Audley End house and gardens. Many years ago (20-ish) there occured the first multi-period re-enactment. I was there with the Vikings. But there were many others, including a large WWII contingent.

One of the largest units was the 633 Panza Grenadiers (if I have the unit wrong I apologize, but they were German tank-riders). They had just cut a deal with Bovington Tank museum, and thus were somewhat excitible.

Any-way, also that weekend was "Flying Legends" but no one from either place had bothered to tell the other what was going on............

So over comes chappie in a Spitfire, sees something going on under his approach to Duxford and drops a bit to have a closer look. Some wag (German, almost certainly 633rd) yells "Achtung Spitfire!"

All Hell Breaks Loose. Everyone with a gun shoots, including I am informed Yanks & Brits. Pilot, again the story goes has a brown-trouser moment.

There was a complaint........

I'm not back from Beijing that weekend, so I'll have to pass. Maybe one year, graduation ceremonies allowing.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Is it just WWII aircraft or do they still fly those fantastic 1950 and up, jets?
    Duxford used to have a brilliant jet show, featuring Harrier, F86 Sabre, Mig 15s, Meteors etc? I would love to see the English Electric Lightning, F4 Phantom, maybe an SR71, though I dont think Duxfords example is flyable. Oh to see a Messerschmidt 262 though, or even a Vulcan.
    Most of those I have listed really are flying legends but most have been grounded at least at shows simply because they are toooooo noisy! Spoilsports.
    John

Check it out - this is great:
    http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/flying-legends

Only aircrafts from WWII period or before - as if that isn't enough .
    (Tried to find a list of participants - but could not.)
    Last edited by Spitfire; 05-08-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    "There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!'

Speaking of Spitfires -
    Eric Carter is the last surviving member of Force Benedict, a secret mission to protect Murmansk, the port in northern Russia that was a crucial lifeline to the Soviets, but he was shot down at the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery near Stoke-on-Trent.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...-Spitfire.html
    The wartime diary of Kriegsmarine Oberleutnant z.S. Max von Zatorski.
    http://seeklardiaries.tumblr.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/SeeklarDiaries

Ho yes, I'll be there, playing the 78 shellac
    Harry & Edna
    Vintage Sweethearts

Twitter

Facebook

I'll be there on the saturday-weather permitting!
    Andrew

And I'll be there saturday - come rain or come shine